Grapes for fence covering?

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by ElleB, May 2, 2007.

1. ElleB

ElleB Member

I have an ugly south facing chain-link fence (In Vancouver) that I would like to cover with some kind of perennial vine and was wondering if grapes would be an option?

I need something that won't be too prolific as I have a small vegetable garden in front of the fence. Any perennial would do - I just saw grapes recently and thought they were pretty.

2. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

A grape vine would make a fine fence covering, but I think you'd find them quite "prolific" and a high maintenance item. In the early summer you can practically watch the shoots lengthen.

Ralph

3. ElleB

ElleB Member

Thanks! What specifically would make them "High maintenance"? Pruning? Or do they need lots in the way of fertilizing etc?

Do you have a recommendation for a variety?

4. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Keep in mind that a vine, including grapes, will leave the fence bare in winter. An evergreen hedge in front of the fence is an alternative.

5. joecat

joecat Active Member

I don't know about grapes, but I think you have lots of choices!
    I personally like the idea of grapes, or a thornless blackberr because you'll get fruit from them.

Consider if you want an evergreen vine or not, too keep the fence covered in winter too, though personally, I don't mind the wild look bare vines gives to a chainlink fence -- it's still prettier that just the fence!

Consider clematis (even a couple of evergreen varieties), but I think you'll have to plant them deep and mulch well, climbing roses, or honeysuckle.

I think twining vines would be less work as you simply have to train them up the fence and wouldn't have to tie them.

As for the space issue, how much space are you willing to give up? At least a couple of feet so you can get at the vine in the case of harvesting fruit? Or as little as possible, (which I think clematis would be a good choice.)

6. J.Onstott

J.Onstott Active Member

My Grandmother planted about four grape vines along her fence, the first year they were so so and the second and third they were really pretty... and they also tasted good. Everything is so drab here in the winters that even though they go bare the reward in spring has been worth it (pretty much all we have done with them is prune them back and water them)

7. jdelisle

jdelisle Active Member

I planted a seedless concord grape vine this spring at the base of my chain link fence. I love the foliage and the kids love watching it grow. There is only one small bunch of grapes, but the kids can't stop talking about munching on them towards the end of summer.