Christmas Cactus needs a new pot?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by abonneau, Sep 10, 2006.

1. abonneau

abonneau Active Member

Hello all,

Can someone tell me what I need to do with my x-mas cactus? She's getting big and I'm not sure if I should repot it (cut some roots?) or simply put in bigger pot. The current pot is 8 - 9 inches.

The plant is doing very well and give me beautiful flowers every 5-6 months.

Anyway... I need to change the pot because the colour and shape doesn't fit my decor! ;-)

Any help on what to do with this plant would be appreciated.

Annie ;-)

Attached Files:

• 33.JPG
      33.JPG
      File size:
      529.6 KB
      Views:
    • 33-1.JPG
      33-1.JPG
      File size:
      550.3 KB
      Views:
  2. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

I have one about the same size and shape. I thought I'd repot it last Spring, but once I got a good look at the root structure, I left it alone. Given the size of the plant, I think you'll find that it has relatively little root structure. The roots filled the container, but it certainly wasn't root bound. I simply changed a little of the soil and left it in its same container. Maybe next year.

Change the pot to something you like, maybe a little larger, maybe some new soil, but I think disturbing such a beautiful plant will only do harm.

My brother has one that is in a shallow, hanging container that is about 2 feet in diameter. It sits under a skylight, and when it blooms, it is quite impressive. Over the years he just kept pruning large pieces off and sticking them in the soil until it had several individual plants in the same container.

For what it's worth....

3. abonneau

abonneau Active Member

Thanks. Great advice!

I'll try to find another pot about the same size and will simply change it. I'll check the roots just for fun (first time doing this!)

By the way, I'm trying to propagate it. I have 9 "stems" of about 2-5 buds. They have been in water to root for about 2-3 months (Too long I know... I got lazy) and I put them in a container today. Wish me luck!

PS: English is not my mother tongue, so please excuse any mystake...

4. plantlady62

plantlady62 Active Member

Rooting them in soil is best. Should root in no time. Some Rootone, or similiar rooting hormone will speed up the process.

5. abonneau

abonneau Active Member

re: Rooting them in soil is best.

I tried that before and it didn't work, so that's why I put htem in water to root.
    I must of done something bad to them! ;-)

6. plantlady62

Don't keep the soil too wet or they will rot, just slightly moist.

7. abonneau

abonneau Active Member

re: Don't keep the soil too wet or they will rot, just slightly moist.

They didn't rot, they shriveled! The soil was ALWAYS super dry even if I wet it or mist it.

Let me tell you what I did and you can tell me what I did wrong. I took about 4-5 stem of about 2-3 buds. As per a book I read (or was it ont he internet?) I let them "air" out for about 24 hours in a shady (sp?) place. Then, I put them in cactus soil, slightly moist. 2 days after, the stems (not sure how to call them) were already shriveled. The soil was super dry. I tried adding water etc... but after 2 weeks my stems were cleary dying. So I put them in water (with some new stems) and they root in no time. They've been in a container since yesterday. Not sure if it will work...

So... how many wrong things did I do? ;-)

8. plantlady62

Sounds like you did it right....I don't usually use cactus soil, but I don't see a problem with that, I have already had pieces that broke off and rooted just laying on top of pot on the soil. Did you plant them too deeply, I would go only as deep as about 1/2 a joint.

9. abonneau

abonneau Active Member

re: I would go only as deep as about 1/2 a joint.

Did that too. I guess I really don't have luck with my cactus!

But let's see how my new batch in a pot is doing. Maybe I'll get lucky this time? ;-)

PS: I'll take a picture of my new batch tonight. Interested in seing it?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2006
  10. plantlady62

Sure, I'd love to see it.

11. abonneau

abonneau Active Member

Cool! I'll take a pic tonight or tomorrow morning... Let's hope it didn't die since this morning! ;-)

12. sandy130

sandy130 Member

Annie,

what colour does your xmas cactus bloom? l......the other posters gave you some great advice...it looks very healthy and happy ...

Sandy

13. abonneau

abonneau Active Member

Here's a pic... I'm still happy to find it alive after two days! The stems are badly put in tho... but the roots were are tangled togheter and I didn't have the heart to cut it. Not too bad... it could be worst! The pot is about 4 or 5 inches.

Sandy: It's a very bright pink and it's huge! I love it when it blooms. Too bad it's only twice a year. I ignore the plant the rest of the time ;-)

Attached Files:

14. sandy130

sandy130 Member

your cuttings look great in the pot...i am sure they will flourish now....I bet your plant is lovely when it blooms......i love that colour....they sure can put on a show

Sandy

Last edited: Sep 12, 2006
  15. abonneau

abonneau Active Member

Sandy! I'm really hoping my cuttings will work!

Do you have a x-mas cactus also?

16. sandy130

sandy130 Member

Hi Annie...

yes i have a couple true Christmas cacti (schlumbergera x buckleyi) which is like the one you have posted in this thread and sounds as though the same colour as yours too and a few of the thanksgiving cacti (schlumbergera truncata)......actually, i have a few buds popping out on a few of my thanksgiving cacti that are outside right now....here is a great link for info on all the species including easter cacti (rhipsalidopsis):

http://cactus.biology.dal.ca/paulS/christmas/christmas.html

yes your cuttings will work, especially i they have roots....you wont have a problem there i dont think!

Sandy

17. abonneau

abonneau Active Member

thanks for the link Sandy!

and you know what? I think I'm going to get a Thanksgiving cactus too! ;-)

18. sandy130

sandy130 Member

Your welcome! there will be no shortage of thanksgiving cacti coming soon to the stores...you will have a lot to choose from

Sandy

19. abonneau

abonneau Active Member

Thanks Sandy!

20. alberts06

alberts06 Member

Hello-
    I just received some great advice and ideas about what to do with my so called x-mas cactus by reading your thread here. . . But, mine blooms bright pink at LEAST four times a year. Is it still a christmas cactus?? Or is it some other species??
    Also, does season matter much when repotting?? I don't think I would do it in bloom, but maybe rght after??
    I am such a rookie at these things!!
    Thank you for any advice you could offer.

21. plantlady62

I would repot after blom. Use cactus soil, there's sand added to it for drainage. Christmas Cqactus can bloom more than once a year, it depends on how you treat it. Cooler nights and shorter nights set the buds.

22. Nandan Kalbag

Nandan Kalbag Active Member

Why not graft 1 or 2 cuttings on Acanthocereus pentagonus? They grow much more healthier on the stock. I have successfully grafted peices from my original plant(growing on its own roots) on A. pentagonus. All of them are doing much better than the original plant.

23. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

I don't know much about grafting, but in reference to repotting, I would plant forest cacti in a somewhat richer soil than cactus soil. I use regular potting soil and cut it by half or more with cactus soil. This is something I've read and, by experience, can say that the forest cacti seem quite happy with it. For what it's worth...

Say, back to grafting, can you run us through the process of grafting the forest cacti on the A. pentagonus Nandan?

24. Nandan Kalbag

Nandan Kalbag Active Member

Sorry Chester for the delay. I was out of town & could not access internet. I am sending the photographs of Zygocactus grafting method. I have used to Peireskiopsis as well as A. pentagonus stocks. I did wedge graft. The pictures, though not very good, are self explanatory.
    Nandan

Attached Files: