Boston Fern

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by KeirraMiette, May 10, 2006.

1. KeirraMiette

KeirraMiette Member

I have the most beautiful Boston Fern plant,but some how every time I get one all the leaves fall off it! Am I watering it to much or to little or not getting it enough sun or to much sun ?Please help me with what I am doing wrong. I really like it a lot and don't want to lose it!!!
    Thank You....KeirraMiette

2. oscar

oscar Active Member

It's not an easy fern to keep. the best 2 i have are growing in hanging baskets, light position but not direct sunlight, kept on the wet side of moist.

3. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

don't forget to mist it.

4. oscar

oscar Active Member

but not too often (book says fronds are prone to rotting if too wet) told you it wasnt an easy fern :D also the book says high humidity and good ventilation, so maybe just mist around it...water with soft water.

5. Dixie

Dixie Active Member

my grandmother has a huge boston fern. she keeps it in front of their sliding glass door that faces due north and waters it about once a week. it hardly ever drops its leaves and is HUGE! maybe she just got a good one.

6. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

I have been keeping a Boston fern for years. One of the really lacey ones. They can dry a bit between waterings, as can most ferns, the trick is not to let them get too dry, or keep them too wet. Boston's can go a bit farther than, say, an Adiantum, which just whithers up if dry. I would say really good drinks and then allowed to 'almost dry' before another really good drink. Keeping a fern too moist leads to rot problems, and a skimpy- looking plant. Hope this helps.

7. Ricker315

Ricker315 Member

thank you i have been watering good once a week and misting it daily