tree propagation from cuttings

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by mwoodruff50, Nov 5, 2007.

1. mwoodruff50

mwoodruff50 Member

I recently took some cuttings from various trees to grow as bonsais. I used a root hormone and planted in seed starting soil from home depot because it said it was good for cuttings, anyways I watered them good the first day, but it seems like they never dry out and now there is mold on the soil is there something i can do?

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

What trees were they?

There's not many that will root easily from cuttings.

3. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

The peat based mix you have will dry out comparatively slowly...not a bad thing usually.

You might think about putting your cuttings above some kind of heat source...tree cuttings (still not sure what species we're talking about, assuming they are "root-able this time of year) won't want really high temps but a bit of differential between tops and bottoms usually helps to "pull" roots out of the cuttings. The heat will drive moisture out of the medium, but from the bottom up so keep an eye out for dry soil in the bottom of the container before the top looks dry.

Otherwise, just keep the mix moist, not wet, not dry, for optimum air and water availability to the rooting stems.

4. mwoodruff50

mwoodruff50 Member

lets see there is a sweet gum tree, a glossy privet, and a piyon pine

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

The privet should root easily (but note it is an invasive species in your area!), the pinyon won't. Not sure about the sweetgum.

6. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Agreed the pine is unlikely to root, also the liquidambar (sweetgum) can only be rooted from softwood cuttings under mist (a summer project). Some deciduous trees are practical from cuttings, stewartia comes to mind, but they are invariably best struck in June as softwoods. At that time the setup is more tricky, with mist or fog very helpful to keep the delicate cuttings alive while rooting.

Most trees are easiest to propagate, and make far more vigorous (esp. roots) specimens from seed. The seedballs of the sweetgum should be available now if you want to collect some.

As mentioned, all the privets are easy to root.

7. mwoodruff50

mwoodruff50 Member

how do i plant the seedballs and what am i looking for when it comes to a "good looking" seedball. all of these trees are intended for bonsai. i am using gel propagation packs if this helps