Japanese Maple: Bark and Leaf Curling

Discussion in 'Maples' started by griffac, Apr 25, 2008.

1. griffac

griffac Member

Hi-

I have a Japanese maple in really poor condition. We just moved here last summer--a very hot and miserable summer, and I'm afraid it went through some stress--bright, direct, sun, low water, etc during the change of ownership. The leaves dried and curled and the bark split in a few places.

This spring, the maple has not fully come back. There are a few healthy leaves near the base of the trunk on a tiny new branch. The old branches got new buds, but all of the leaves are curled and weak looking, even though the weather has been pretty mild and it rains quite often (the tulips are happy!). Some of the older branches are entirely gray. The trunk bark is split, completely loose in places, and gray with white spots. There is some moss growth in various places on the tree. All the pruning was done by the previous resident--I'm afraid of pruning.

If anyone has any idea what I can do to save this poor tree, please let me know. Sorry about the unrotated pictures, they were uploaded before I realized it.

Attached Files:

2. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Sun is not the only thing that could cause that, but sunburn is worth considering.

Does the damage face where hot summer sun would have been shining?

3. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

cut,cut,above the new small branch that is born ,near the soil,for me is the only way...

4. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

With bark like that I fear your tree is on its last legs. For the life of me I can't see that plant recovering at all
    Sorry ....

5. griffac

griffac Member

The sun probably shines most on that side, but with a strong sun overhead I don't think the poor thing gets any shade at all during the day.

Sorry for the delay in response... Is there any remedy for sunburn, does it ever heal?

6. griffac

griffac Member

You mean down to the ground? Would it survive?

Since that set of pics were taken, some branches began sporting much healthier looking foliage, but some branches are not showing any at all. I was considering cutting off the unhealthiest parts but leaving most of it intact, since the improvement.

Sorry for the delayed response...

7. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

I don't think Alex means all the way to the ground -- I believe he's suggesting that you prune the wood above the strong, healthy-looking foliage.

8. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

yes ditto kaspian!