Transplanting a Japanese maple into Bonsai pot

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Atapi, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Hi,

I am seeking for some advices when is the best time to transplant a JM tree from a regular pot into the bonsai pot. I just ordered a few 1gal dwarf JMs, they already leafed out when I received them so I wonder should I wait until next Spring when they are still in dormant before cut/clean up some of their roots and branches to place them in the bonsai form?.
    This is my first time to try bonsai cause i like what I see from JT1 collections :).
    Any input is greatly appreciated, Steven.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

May need to go into bigger pots with fresh soil in the meantime so they do not deteriorate.

3. Daniel Otis

Daniel Otis Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hello Atapi--

I agree with Ron that getting them into good fresh soil for the coming year to ensure that they are healthy is a good idea.

When I did bonsai, the consensus was that the best time to repot was in late winter or early spring, ideally when the roots have broken dormancy but there is not yet any top growth. In practice, I've found that any time after Christmas works, as long as you keep the repotted plant from drying out. But we're colder here than you are.

So I'd wait until next winter to repot. This year, even if the plant is doing well, I wouldn't do much more than some minor branch trimming to start establishing the structure and to encourage branches to ramify; this I would do after the first flush of growth has hardened off--end of June here in NY, maybe early June down there.

I might also recommend reducing the root mass in stages. If the plants are in a regular 1-gallon pot now, perhaps next year they could go into a wide, shallow pot, like a bulb pan 4" high and 10 or 12" wide, and then perhaps a bonsai pot the next year. Depends on the depth of the ultimate pot, too.

In my experience, creating good bonsai is a long game, measured in years, and patience is crucial. I found that the training I received in my local bonsai club was extremely valuable, not only for training bonsai, but for learning good pruning techniques for plants in the landscape.

Good luck!

4. Daniel Otis

Well, looks like I wasn't clear; I should stay away from these quick replies. So--I'd repot the plant into fresh soil this year without disrupting the roots too much. I'd wait until late next winter to start reducing the root mass to get the plant into a bonsai pot, and you might continue the process of root reduction for a second year, depending on the cultivar and the current shape and condition of the root mass.

5. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Thank you, Ron and Daniel,
    So I will transplant them into a large pots and wait until next winter. Should I begin to use the bonsai mixed here or wait until they are going into the bonsai pots?.

Thanks again,

6. Daniel Otis

I've found that bonsai mix is an excellent growing medium--I think the air in the soil and the perfect drainage promote vigorous root growth. It's relatively expensive, though, and you may have to water every day. That said, if your tree is already in leaf, I'd be careful about disturbing the roots too much, especially now when it's just come into leaf.