Help! What kind of plant is this?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by mrparker, Jul 6, 2009.

1. mrparker

mrparker Member

I bought this in the cactus/succulent section of a nursery a few months ago. I think the clerk said it was a "prairie star" or similar, but i'm not sure. I'd like to know what it is exactly, so i can know how to care for it properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

echeveria or sempervivum

3. Rosemarie

Rosemarie Active Member

It looks like the inflorescence of a Sempervivum (as Joclyn surmised). Has it been blooming long? If it is a Semp (common name Hen and Chicks) & you don't have any chicks now, then I'm afraid your plant is a goner after it finishes blooming. What did the plant look like when you first got it? Was it a succulent rosette?

4. mrparker

mrparker Member

Yes it was a much smaller rosette when i bought it. It grew very quickly and flowered about 6 weeks ago. The flowers are on the wane, now, I was wondering what would happen if I pinched them off now. No chicks forming at the base I'm afraid...are you sure it's a goner if it doesn't "reproduce"? Also, I was wondering what would happen if I pinched off the whole top flowering part of the plant, or even did so much lower down on the plant, say 3-4 inches above ground...