Louisiana iris question..

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by Chungii V, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Hey again all,
    I have a couple of Louisiana Iris plants at home. They were just pieces of rhizome which I had stuck into 5 inch pots and sat in a small pond. The plants have taken off the last few months and the main rhizome is about a foot long now with littlies coming up along the way. How much soil do these plants need to do well? In nurseries we'd just cut them back and propagate but I'd rather let them grow. How much longer will they handle being in the small pots? Also how deep can they sit in water? I have thought of putting some soil into the pond base and letting them grow in that but don't want to loose that small amount of water I have which attracts frogs. I could maybe section off a part of the pond but if they are okay being planted about 4-5 inches deep in water I would like to plant them into it. They are currently sitting in enough water to just keep the top of the pot under water.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance.

2. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

If you remove the pot, and place along the edge or rim of the pond, assuming it has natural edging...they should go gangbusters...save some for back up, and plant where appropriate in a flower bed.. tubers about 3cm. below soil...

3. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

It's an old two-tier pond (I've attached a photo). The top is already full of peat and sphagnum moss with pots of carnivorous plants sitting in it. That's why I didn't want to fill the bottom part with soil. I could probably just cut up the plants and put them into new pots but I think it seems to reduce or even stop flowering if they are being constantly split up. I've just put dwarf Aloe around the base which are growing nicely so the soil's pretty dry surrounding the pond.
    I have them in the pond simply because that's where they do best. There are 2 plants, the other has about a dozen small plants shooting off it. How big an area would they cover if they were to be put in the ground, keeping in mind they don't die back here? I have a couple of areas in my yard which get recycled water and could put them in amongst those spots.
    If I was to put several pots into the pond and guide the plant it should layer itself right? Will that work maybe? I was sort of hoping to get them going around most of the pond base. At least I could keep them under control that way or is it better running under the soil?

Attached Files:

4. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Thx for the pix... space and water is a premium here... split some for layering, if that is possible, but then you are in a subtropical climate/ envy here...if wwater is an issue, re: drought/restrictions... then keep then contained to your pond, as water is their best friend about now, they look so healthy too! They won't run far under soil if it is very dry... I should think...

5. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Yeah, water restrictions are part of the reason they are in the pond and that is also the reason for their good health. I might cut a large pot to a good height and try that for now and when it's full start again. I'll try a couple of pieces in the ground, if I start small I can always take them out if they look as though they might get away on me.
    It's really the first pond I've had in a yard that's not being used as a water feature so haven't dealt with water loving plants other than water lillies etc. Quiet the opposite actually more concentrating on drought tolerant plants. Rain can sometimes be good here but it's not very reliable. The problem though is finding plants that are drought and humidity tolerant.
    Thanks for your help.