Alaskan Weeping Blue Cedar

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by DramaJunkie52, Apr 24, 2007.

1. DramaJunkie52

DramaJunkie52 Member

I'm afraid it may be too late to help my tree - but I really want to save it - if possible.

We bought it from a local nursery and had a landscaper plant it last July, 2006. Later that month, we had extremely heavy rainfall - nearly 17 inches in two weeks. Fort Wayne, IN, has a very heavy concentration of clay soil. I feel it started to "drown" at that time. Later, we got thrips, so I sprayed for these. We had a very unusual winter, remaining in the 50's through December. Then we got quite a few snows - one 12 inch one. After that it warmed up to the 70's for a couple of weeks during which time we got more heavy rains, then we had another freeze that lasted a couple of weeks (with more snow). About 3 weeks ago, we dug down and found standing water about 10 inches below the surface. At this time, there is still plenty of moisture, but no longer standing water.

Most of the tree has turned brown although there is still some green. If I barely scratch the bark, I don't see any "true" green, but it is sticky and does smell of pine sap.

The landscaper who planted it doesn't think it's salvageable. The nursery said wait and see.

If there is anything I can do to save this tree, I want to. I lovingly call it my "Wizard" because of it's shape with the curved branch at the top.

Thank you in advance for reading my post and any suggestions you may be able to offer. By the way, we are in Zone 5.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Sounds like it's kaput.