Wild Peach Tree?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Mytonytiger, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Mytonytiger

Mytonytiger Member

My Dad and I had walked into the woods near the house to pick some Hickory nuts. On our way back, I noticed some peach seeds on the ground; there were hundreds. I looked up and saw dried out peaches still on a tree (late November). The tree was HUGE! It had to be 25-30 foot tall and around 12+ inches in diameter at the base. I figure someone was out eating peaches one day and discarded the seed. I didn’t see any other peach trees close by, but there were many saplings around. Without fruit or leaves, I wouldn’t know if they were peach trees or not. The woods are very thick and there isn’t a lot of sunlight where the tree is. I think it’s amazing that this tree has survived all the winters, insects, storms and everything else for so long. I’m not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I would have to think this tree is quite old to be as big as it is. Maybe 20-25 years or more.

I collected about 40-50 seeds. Some of them with the dried out skin still on them. I’m planning on “Stratifying†them and planting them in the spring.

Any suggestions on how to best do this?
    How big do these trees get?
    Any ideas how old it is?
    Is this an unusual find?
    Can I expect any trees that come from the seeds to be as hardy?

Thanks,
    Tony