Asian Lilies

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by dshanks, Sep 23, 2009.

1. dshanks

dshanks Member

I have Asian Lillies in my garden and last year, cut the only one I had down for the winter. It came back, but not as tall. Anyone know about Asian Lillies?

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

i never cut them; just remove the old stalk in early spring before new growth starts.

3. dshanks

dshanks Member

Thank you. That is what I will do next spring.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Remove stalk as soon as it withers on its own - and not before. Diminishment of planting despite refraining from premature removal of stems will be due to other problems such as soil infertility, pests or diseases - like other bulbs lilies need a certain fairly high fertility to replace bulbs and produce flowers every year. In addition lilies are quite subject to various pests and diseases. Where I live the growing year for the plant is liable to be terminated abruptly by slugs destroying the recently emerged shoots if preventative measures are not undertaken in a timely manner.

5. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Thanks Ron,

I have been on hols and I see my Lillies are all but gone. Just the stalk left now.