pink flowering shrub, blooms in June

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by velvet, Jun 27, 2004.

1. velvet

velvet Member

I don't have a digital camera to post a picture, so hopefully this description will be enough:

This shrub flowers in June (in the Kootenays). It has clusters of small, fragrant, light pink flowers with orange markings inside, at the end of the branches, on new growth. They are similar in appearance to a penstemon flower- tubular with five attached petals that open at a 90o angle to the tube. The flower stems are about 1" long and hairy.

The leaves are opposite, lanced-shaped, and slightly toothed. They feel a bit hairy, although there's no visible hairs. The leaves open late- in May or so- and change to an orangy-red (I think) in the fall. The shrub sends out branches from a central base, and they get up to 2" thick. They tend to grow up, and then the newer growth drapes over. It's about 10 feet tall, and probably fairly old.

It seems to be happy in it's partially shaded location. It's very gorgeous and elegant in the summer and fall, otherwise it's just a bunch of straggly branches.

Thanks for your help!

2. velvet

velvet Member

found

I found it! It's a Beauty Bush- Kolkwitzia amabalis. A very beautiful shrub if anyone's looking to add something to their collection.