Honeysuckle

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Margaret, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

Honeysuckle as groundcover?

Has anyone used honeysuckle as a groudcover and, if so, how successful was it?
    Thanks
    Margaret

Last edited: Apr 24, 2006
  2. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

Based upon research (not personal experience), most varieties of honeysuckle have and can be used as a spreading ground cover, including the native Lonicera ciliosa or orange honeysuckle.

There are many types of honesuckle that grow in differing conditions, so you need to choose the right variety for the microclimate.

Non-native honeysuckles can be susceptible to mold, so make sure if you aren't using the native honeysuckle to plan for good air circulation and drainage.

3. NiftyNiall

NiftyNiall Active Member 10 Years

I have used Lonicera ciliosa, as ground cover, it is commonly found as a ground cover in riparian cobble-strewn areas, very slow growing,(when compared to the other Lonicera's) it helps to place rocks on top of the runners, to encourage rooting, which it does readily. Some of the varieties of Clematis ligusticifolia, Virgins Bower also tend to creep along the ground. The Hortline gave good advice, good air circulation will prevent most problems. When it grows as a ground cover, it does not flower as profuse, as when it climbs shrubs & trees. As a streamkeeper, I use L.ciliosa, for a groundcover in my arsenal of plants.

4. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

Thanks to both of you. I have quite a few small plants which have rooted after falling down from the upright main vines so I shall now transplant them. I am very bad about remembering names but have attached a photo which shows the leaves and unopened buds. The flowers are white, not very showy but are beautifully perfumed.
    Thanks again.
    Margaret

Attached Files: