Hedges and Barriers

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by catmunn, Jan 16, 2007.

1. catmunn

catmunn Member

I need to do some research on alternative hedges and barriers in this climate zone. It must consist of more than one plant and must provide privacy, food and habitat for at least three species, has year round interest and is neighbour-friendly. Tall order? I've been researching all day and still can't come up with one. Please help.

2. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Catmunn,

Have you considered hollies? There are evergreen and decidious ones and will feed and shelter more then one species of bird. There is one evergreen holly that doesn't need a mate to bear fruit, but most require a male and female.

Newt

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

what kind of size ? width , heght....
    mix of deciduous and evergreen allowed?

4. catmunn

catmunn Member

It can be a mix of shrub and tree, deciduous and evergreen-but must provide relative privacy-5-6ft is a good height. I little eco-system that attracts the bugs and birds. Holly is a good choice, but it can be invasive and it quite common. Any other ideas?

5. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Skimmia, Cotoneaster horizontalis, Symphoricarpos (maybe, its a bit of a sprawling shape), Aucuba...

6. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Rhododendron will feed butterflies and bees. Mahonia is another possibility for a shaded area and offers berries and shelter to birds.

7. catmunn

catmunn Member

Those are some good ideas-Thanks. I am still looking for something a bit more unusual-but maybe in this very wet Pacific NW, it would be unlikely to find anything but the tried and true.