Sudden Grape Vine Death This Year

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Dawn Carpenter, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Dawn Carpenter

Dawn Carpenter Member

I inherited a very old, I believe, Concord grape vine. It has produced lovely edible fruit for the last five years without any tending. Last year I moved off of a fence and onto an arbor and it seemed to thrive despite the move. This year it began to show signs of growth and then everything stopped! Upon closer examination, the vines that still had life in them, also had brown in the center of them. It continues to try to grow in it's stunted condition after I cut away all the totally dead vines. Can anyone identify what could have happened? And should I give up on this vine, or can it be nursed back to health?

Thanks!
    Dawn

2. broadview62

broadview62 Member

My big old concord grape vine did the same thing this year 2012. 0ver 10 years old with a truck diameter of about 8". We have had nothing but great crops for years. EArly this spring we pruned out a bunch of last years growth to thin it out as we always do and this year nothing. All of the wine grapes are well on their way. we were surpassed at how late it was. Usually we see water dripping from the trellis but this year nothing. Very disturbing as we love the concords. The bark at the base of the truck appears to have all pealed away, but I'm used to parks dong that on my wine grapes. Any ideas would be appreciated.