Meyer lemon tree - HELP!

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by juliansully, Jan 11, 2009.

1. juliansully

juliansully Member

Hello all-

I am new to growing a Meyer lemon tree in a container so I need all the help I can get. I got my tree this summer - it is about 3 years old and had six small lemons that matured very nicely. I didn't have problems until I brought the plant indoors in the fall. Now my leaves are curling, turning yellow on the ends and falling off. I also have some leaves that have holes in them. And there are no blossoms. Attached are some pics. Any advice?

Attached Files:

2. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

when you see the roots (as you see) it is time to repot, you might want to let it dry out then water it.
    Blake09

3. aesir22

aesir22 Active Member

It needs to dry out somewhat between waterings. Repot it in an ultra fast draining mix. The symptoms it has are typical of leaf burn due to high soluble salts in the soil...too much fertilizer or your water is too hard. Posts for this tree may be best off in the UBC citrus forum.

4. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Hmmm, happened to my Meyer two years ago, it came back once I planted it out of doors.. the change in temp/humidiyy shocks these fussy citrus. Mine lost all its leaves but came back beautifully by the fall, and was covered in blossoms the next winter. Your pot looks too big for such a small plant that has it's roots exposed?. Keep it in a bright cool location until you can temper it out side in the spring. Leaf curl and yellowing...try a little diluted epsom salts when watering.

5. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

Well then just top of the soil If ou go with K Baron

6. juliansully

juliansully Member

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think my problem maybe not enough fertilizer and not enough water to flush out the salt build up. I will be working on these two solutions and will let you know how it works out.

Thanks again.

7. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Just an afterthought, I do not know how low your temperatures drop to below freezing in the dead of winter, but I would think that your plant would and should proliferate out of doors in the ground? or balcony? along with any required protection from freezing winds of course! There is a gardener in North Vancouver, BC that has had great success with a variety of citrus out of doors, protected as much as necessary during the harshest winter months, and we have had over two weeks of minus 10 celsius..... look him up...GregN?

8. juliansully

juliansully Member

Zone 8 and higher is considered the best for growing citrus outdoors. I am in Zone 7b. I don't see why I couldn't grow my tree outdoors. I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the suggestion.

BTW, I have also heard about people in my zone who leave their trees in the garage.