Meyer Lemon Tree help

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by fromhils, Sep 2, 2008.

1. fromhils

fromhils Member

I just recently puchased a Meyer Lemon Tree it is being grown indoors in a pot.

I live in San Francisco CA. The weather has been good if maybe a bit hot since I got the tree. I am not entirely sure how old the tree is I assume it is about 2-3 years based on the height.

I have had some problems with fruit flys and ants (they are loving the bay area right now). I was able to get rid of them by using a sesame seed based product called organacide.

However I am now noticing that many of the younger lemons are turning a brownish color. I have posted some pics...

As far a feeding the plant I am using E.B. Stone organic citrus and fruit tree food 7-3-3 the nitrogen count is 7%.

I am concerned maybe I have over watered (I have been watering every three days or as needed based on soil dryness).

I also have some nice looking but still green lemons I have not noticed a whole lot of growth in the approximately 1 month I have had the plant but am very new to this any assistance how long it takes from mature to ripe. IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0301.jpg

Help!

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

The lemons turning a brownish color is normal, and the tree will automatically discard them. This is the tree's method of keeping only the amount of fruit that the tree can handle, and bring to maturity. Of the small fruitlets that a citrus tree initially sets, only 2-3 percent will remain on the tree until maturity. E.B. Stone fertilizer is just "OK", but there are many better types of fertilizer for citrus. Citrus are heavy feeders, therefore require a lot of nourishment. Organic fertilizers only accomplish a fair job of supplying a citrus tree's requirements. It is your tree, and you can feed it by any method you wish. However, I would recommend using a conventional chemical water soluble fertilizer with a ratio (not formula) as close to a 5-1-3 that you can find, that also contains trace minerals. When you water the tree, water the tree well so that 10 percent of the irrigation water applied drains out the bottom of the container. Then don't water again until the top 2 inches of the growth medium feel rater dry. Lastly, spend some time reading threads on this forum dealing with good potting mixes for citrus. - Millet

3. fromhils

fromhils Member

Hi Millet,

Thank you very much for your advice. I have indeed gone through other threads on this board and am feeling better that my tree is maybe not hurting at this time. I have had a lot of new leaf growth and tons of blooms since I brought it home. I have also been using the cotton swab pollination method as I am growing it indoors. This also seems to be working although i suppose I will not know for sure until a brand new lemon begins to form.

I think I am just being a nervous mom about it, wanting to make sure it grows up happy and strong.

I will keep using the forum for both my lemon tree and the rest of my greenhouse. It is a great resource.

Thanks again!
    Hilery

http://fromthehils.blogspot.com/

4. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hilery, for most new, or newer, container citrus growers, problems with their trees generally start at 6 to 8 months after purchase. The average life of a container citrus tree is two years. However, with knowledge a container citrus tree can live a healthy productive life for many many years. Good luck. - Millet

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Hand pollination is not necessary.