TREE ID > Oregon x 2

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by M. D. Vaden, Apr 27, 2012.

1. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Watch ... probably a tree I should know. Does this look like a Fraxinus? It just started to leaf-out, and I can't reach any limbs. Just a zoom photo, and nothing on the ground. The leaflets appear to have slight serration. The nodes really stand out on younger limbs that grew after topping or damage.

Photos attached below.

Will be posting a 2nd tree in a few minutes. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Sambucus.

3. M. D. Vaden

Here is tree #2.

About 40 feet tall. I just opened the image file for the first time, and it resembles the Hawthorn that grows wild around here. The form of the tree looked different. Most are a tangled mess, interwoven. This tree is a bit more streamlined with a main trunk. But does have several stems aligned like root sprouts that became 6" stems. It still has a lot of branches though. And there are a dozen smaller trees on the property that are easily identifiable as Hawthorn. This one is in the midst of Blackberry with foliage beginning from about 16 feet and upward.

My guess is Hawthorn.

Seem that way to others?

Attached Files:

4. M. D. Vaden

There's some stuff with age on the property.

I'll google some images of Sambucus.

Also, the trunk is 14 inches diameter DBH, and the tree is about 35 feet tall.

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

In the first post, the photos of foliage and branching really resemble Sambucus, but the third image of the trunk is something else. Possibly some confusion about whether those leaves are attached to that tree?

6. M. D. Vaden

Maybe I should have mentioned, but the 2nd image in the first post was rotated 90 degrees to the left. Here's a larger version of the first image. In this one, the top of the image was the top of the image. Up is up.

Attached Files:

7. M. D. Vaden

This is the best crop I can get at 100% of the leaves. The bigger trunk stems don't have leaves attached. Mainly at nodes of smaller branches and twigs.

It's an older house, abandoned right now. Most of the trees and shrubs are at least 30, 40, even 60 years old. Whether planted or native.

There's even a Douglas fir with a 52 inch diameter DBH. So natives or imported plants all seem decades old.

Attached Files:

8. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I'm not bothered by the trunk or the size, doubtless it's a blue elderberry. And yes, the other is one of the native black hawthorns - probably Suksdorf hawthorn with those short spines.