Need help selecting the correct spruces for us to plant.

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Larry Caryl, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Larry Caryl

Larry Caryl Member

Hello everyone. My wife and I are stuck on trying to figure out which kind of spruce trees to plant. We just moved to our new house in June. We are located in Brooklyn, MI. We are planning on landscaping an enclosed fire pit in the backyard. We have just over 2 acres. We were wanting to place spruce trees around the pit. At a safe distance of course, as to avoid catching them on fire. I would think that would be a given, but some people dont always think logically. Our problem is this. We need spruce trees that have a smaller diameter. Almost like a dwarf spruce. Something that is around 15' wide at maturity. The problem is that we've found one place that sells dwarf and they're over $100 each! It would take us forever to afford the trees we'd need. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks so much,
    Larry & Tina

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Maybe there is a kind of spruce on display at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden that would show you a way to go.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Check out Serbian Spruce Picea omorika. They may eventually get too large, but will take many decades to do so.

4. Larry Caryl

Larry Caryl Member

Ron-
    Thats a great idea. I forgot about that. It's about 1/2 hr away but probably worth going.
    Thanks for the idea.

5. Larry Caryl

Larry Caryl Member

Michael-
    Thanks. We'll research that one. But I thought that one got a diameter of 40' or more.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Widest I know of personally half that spread. Narrow spire shape typical, but it is a tall-growing tree so will still achieve some basal spread in time, even when that is a fraction of the height.

Assuming site and climate suitable, 'Nana' version probably perfect for your purposes. When bought a blunt-tipped bush but production of leader, eventual conical shape typical. Quite a nice specimen in time.

7. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Black Spruce Picea mariana is also worth checking - similar shape to Serbian Spruce, but smaller. Down-sides are that it is slow-growing, and also (being a subarctic species) doesn't like warm dry conditions, you may be a bit too far south for it to do well.