Anthurium of SE Asia origin?

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by andreanum, Sep 1, 2008.

1. andreanum

andreanum Member

Having searched for anthurium in the internet I found that anthurium is endemic to the forest of Central America and South America. According to Wikipedia, Dr. Tom Croat of the Missouri Botanical Garden, said that this genus is not found in Asia.

When I visited a sunday market in Labuan Island (west of Sabah, Borneo) I bought a pot of anthurium from a seller who admitted to have collected the plant from Labuan Island forest. He didin't look like an anthurium grower as he only had one pot of anthurium. I was lucky to take the plant home without any inspection at both Malaysian and Indonesian airports.

I have been trying to identify my anthurium but cannot find the exact species of the plant. I only find it similar to a dry specimen of pachylaminum, but am not sure of their classification. I would like to ask anyone here to identify my anthurium. Your good judgement will be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. andreanum

andreanum Member

The picture of my "Labuan" anthurium taken on July 15, 2008.

Attached Files:

3. andreanum

andreanum Member

I wonder how people here would react when seeing me as someone from Indonesia. Would anyone have a look on this and give a simple judgement on my plant? I don't know.

I just want you guys to note that I do not have a nursery, nor do I sell anthurium for life or wealth. I just do care of the plants originality.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  4. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

yeah no problem there Andreanum, like the name BTW. No Anthuriums are not endemic to Asia at all, its obviously an escapee from someones nursery. It is more likely a hybrid, but I can ask someone who is very knowledgeable about these type of Anthuriums and I should get a response. Probably need to wait till you get a spathe, spadix and/or berries.
    I am surprised you got that through international customs!!
    BTW nice plant

Ed

5. andreanum

andreanum Member

Thank you for replying, Ed.

Though I am forced to believe that anthuriums are not endemic to Asia, I could not say that the plant I bought is a hybrid product of a nursery. It was in a terrible condition (look at the damaged and cut leaves) and looked so wild.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your comment.

6. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

andreanum, welcome to these forums. What is so wonderful is that questions and answers come from all over the world. All here share a love of plants, all are most welcome.

7. edleigh7

I believe you have been speaking with Steve over this, which is who I asked anyway.
    Good luck

Ed

8. andreanum

andreanum Member

Thank you, Luddite!
    This forum helps me a lot. In just two days I could learn many thing from the discussions of its members. I could also see how passion turned into devotion. I believe that sharing the love of plants would also help us sharing love and respect of others.

9. andreanum

andreanum Member

Seems like we know where to go when we are in the jungle. Just close your eyes and call Steve's name. Hahahahaaa...

10. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

Must be some other Steve.

Aroids aren't my thing.

I was once accused of being a troublemaker in the Aroid group and I'm not even a member.

11. edleigh7

Yes it is another Steve, mate.
    You stick to the prickly stuff : )

Ed

12. edleigh7

Now Steve I find that hard to believe ; )

Ed

13. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

I checked it out. There is another Steve in the Aroid forum. Ironically, he once defended the very same person who called him a trouble maker and accused me of being him. So much for thinking some shaven headed tattoed lady is your friend.

Hard to believe I could be called a troublemaker or that Aroids aren't my thing?

The only Aroid that interests me is Zamioculcas zamiifolia because its the only genuine succulent in the whole family. I have three forms of it.

14. edleigh7

Ha ha
    Hard to believe you were called a trouble maker ; )

Can you post a photo of the 3 forms of ZZ that you have. I would be interested to see that!

Ed

15. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

cereusly steve a troublemaker?? shirly you jest!!!

i'd be interesting is seeing the 3 zz's myself. very cool plant, that one!!

andeanum, i somehow missed your post...i would also have referred you to steve, so if you're already in contact, he should have the correct name soon enough. and, yes, he DOES hear us calling him... ;)

16. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Adreanum - aroids escape and try to naturalize all of the time. What you have there is an Anthurium from the section Pachyneurium, the birdsnests. I can tell you with absolute certainty that it's not an Indonesian native, but the plants of that section hybridize freely and can produce many berries, so it's not entirely surprising to see one that had gone native. Steve would probably know which one yours is, and barring that, Dr. Croat. Email Steve first.

I am in Ecuador, which is one of the natural habitats of Anthuriums like yours, and I see naturalized Alocasias, which are native to SE Asia, all the time in my forests....

17. edleigh7

Beth he is already in contact with Steve L : )

Ed

18. andreanum

andreanum Member

Zamioculcas zamiifolia

Cereusly Steve,
    Is this the plant you talk about?

It only cost me less than US$ 3 to get this plant. I could have bought a bigger plant last week, but I had a bunch of plants in my hands at that time. It was the last day of the Flona 2008 (the largest flora & fauna exhibition in Jakarta), where prices went down when vendors are packing their plants before leaving for other towns in Java or Sumatera. The normal price today is > US$8.

Attached Files:

19. edleigh7

Yes I belive that is the plant he is talking about (still waiting for pics)
    You got that at a good price and you can propogate by placing a leaf in some well drained potting medium

Ed

20. trikus

trikus Active Member

Its not pachylaminum , I have grown many of them ,,
    you will have to wait a few years to get an ID .
    It is an Anthurium though .