Acer palmatum 'Abigail Rose'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mjh1676, Sep 21, 2005.

1. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Here are two spring photos of a liner plant that I had earlier in the year. The liners I had perished by early summer. I returned to the grower that supplied the liners earlier in the year and I came home with the larger plant pictured. The larger plant in summer color is of the same liner batch from the late winter and represents this years growth.

The problem appears to be that the late season growth can be so vigorous that the plant will not set buds or that the growth is so tender that it does not survive the winter and early spring challenges. Combine that with a plant that is very suseptible to mildew, the condition that my liners succumbed to, and you have the makings for a difficult varieity to grow.

If you view the photo of the full liner, you will notice that the black areas at the base of the new stems. This area at the base of the new stems is a grouping of buds, as can be seen on many dwarf maples, to which this plant often dies completely back to in the spring. I completely expect to lose 1/4 or better of the chutes on the larger plant pictured above come spring. What seems to happen is the plant tries to push growth from the bud grouping and frost or mildew or other problems kill the very tiny leaves. This process is repeated and if successful, we get new chutes, if not the plant burns out.

Wish me luck as the larger plant above will be my last effort to grow this plant.

Attached Files:

Keith Elliott likes this.
  2. conifers

conifers Active Member

The US National Arboretum, late-May, 2006.
    (I wouldn't recommend planting this in a groundcover Juniper bed ever!)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2007
  3. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Looks like fun to me! I'm about to get one so wish me luck because I will only give this one 1 shot!

David

4. Cirque

Cirque Active Member

I just received 'Abigail Rose' from Essence of the tree. Looks like it will be a
    really nice small AP to watch.

Attached Files:

5. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

This is a sweet and delicate cultivar, one that requires some care in the spring time when days are warm and nights are freezing.

Attached Files:

6. Cirque

Cirque Active Member

Just thought I'd let you know that the photo above in Post #4 shows the tree that I once had. She didn't pull through. We had a really hard winter....and then an unusually dry spring. She started to leaf out....then just stopped and held onto 1/8 to 1/4" leaves and never changed. It's too bad...was quite a beautiful AP....don't think I'll replace this one. It's the only one I lost this year.....and the second ever.

Cirque

7. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Sorry to hear about your loss. This is one of those plants I tend to call a "house plant" because when the winter is harsh, moisture is not abundant or the spring brings hard frosts, I drag the plant into the garage. I have maybe twenty small trees that I call house plants, delicate and beautiful little things, all in pots, and so far my strategy of moving them from extremes in the weather has paid off. Of course I'd rather have them in the ground, but I feel they need a more moderate climate than what southern Oregon provides. Here's my Abigail Rose on May 14, 09, beginning to fade from the spring colors.

Attached Files:

8. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

here are some photos of my 'Abigail Rose'

Attached Files:

9. amazingmaples

this year with our cold weather my Abigail Rose seemed to barely pushed out leaves.

Attached Files:

10. amazingmaples

I planted it in a very warm bed with afternoon shade.

Attached Files:

• 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      248.9 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      228 KB
      Views:
    • 019.jpg
      019.jpg
      File size:
      241.9 KB
      Views:
  11. amazingmaples

Well it looks like it is happy in its new location. We will see how it does through the winter

Attached Files:

• 058.jpg
      058.jpg
      File size:
      286.8 KB
      Views:
  12. Shami

Shami New Member

I am glad to read the post from mapledia. Being relatively new to maples, I was not sure why these delicate plants are dying. I will get one soon. It seems clear to me now that what kills them is freezing weather in winter but more importantly freezing weather in spring. I was going to put the maples on a rack, cover the rack in bubble wrap and fit a thermostat and cable heating set at 0 C for winter. I will do the same in spring now, perhaps, set at +5 C. I have only a terrace and no unheated indoor space in case someone is wandering why the complex set up.

13. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

This is my 2nd or 3rd year with this one. I bought it as a small graft and have been protecting it since. It seem to be a slow grower for me. My biggest problem with this plant is that its very suseptible to mildew. It's gives me a beautiful spring show. I get the black at the base of the stem but no die back yet.

Is anyone having success with Abigail Rose or still trying this one out?

Attached Files:

Keith Elliott and Acerholic like this.
  14. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@LoverOfMaples, as a dwarf it is ideally suited to a pot, my friend had two in his garden planted in the ground but lost both. They had severe die back for a few years. It was such a shame as the Spring colour was extremely pretty.
    I have not tried this one out yet D, so will watch yours with interest.
    Looks a lovely healthy specimen you have there.

15. LoverOfMaples

Thanks D. I like it. I was iffy the first year but look forward to seeing the beautiful spring growth every year. My plan is to keep it as a container plant because I'm planning to continue to bringing it inside doing the winters.

Guess what D? I'm about to order 'Shin hikasa'.

16. Acerholic

@LoverOfMaples, I think it is better suited to a pot, so an excellent decision D.
    Shin hikasa, another dwarf that will rival Abigail rose in the Spring for colours.
    Looking forward to seeing that D.

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  17. LoverOfMaples

It's starting. I also notice die back for the first time.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  18. Acerholic

One of those cultivars that you have to get close up and personal, so to speak to really appreciate these leaves. Not a problem IMO. Very nice and Spring like D.

19. LoverOfMaples

Lol. Yes D.

20. LoverOfMaples

'Abigail Rose' seems to be a slow grower. The spring color has faded and it is putting out new growth.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  21. LoverOfMaples

Decided to put 'Abigail Rose' in a bonsai pot since it's such a slow grower for me.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  22. Ultraman

Ultraman Active Member

Bought this a year ago and despite previous posts about dieback and other problems, this plant is thriving for me here in the Piedmont of North Carolina. These pics almost look fake but rest assured, they are real and unedited. Took them myself. Great showy foliage in the Spring.

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

Amazing colours. So vivid.

24. LoverOfMaples

Mine past away when I was away for two weeks in April :(
    I never experienced die back until then!

25. Acerholic

I've heard that this cultivar struggles in the cold of Spring D. Are you having another go?