Why have my paulownia tomentosa trees stopped growing?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by stevefal, May 14, 2012.

1. stevefal

stevefal Member

I am working in a mission in Dodoma, Tanzania, East Africa and we are trying to grow paulownia tomentosa trees for lumber/firewood/possibly cattle feed.
    I managed to sprout some from seeds back in November, and they grew fine until about the end of February. Since then (It's now the middle of May), they have simply ceased to produce new leaves or grow at all.
    There really is no winter here, just a rainy season and a dry season.(Its the dry season right now) So I don't see why they would be dormant or something like that.
    The leaves have not fallen off or died, but they have wrinkled.
    I have tried asking local people if maybe the problem is the soil, but it seems that this soil should be adequate, considering the information I have been able to gather online.
    The soil is very hard, but only when it dries out. If kept moist, it is fine.

Should I try coppicing them? I have already tried reducing the amount of water they get, and will try to reduce it further, as I think I was over watering before.

Can anyone help?? I am all out of ideas!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2012
  2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Paulownia tomentosa is a temperate climate tree; it is probably 'confused' by your lack of a winter, not getting the correct dormancy signals it requires to stop growth in autumn and then re-start growth in spring. Try something different that is adapted to a wet-dry season tropical climate, maybe something like Gmelina arborea or Leucaena leucocephala (though these may also be potentially invasive species).

3. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Re: Paulownia trees not growing

The Bermudagrass may be too competitive in terms of water and nitrates.
    If you can control it (spray) or at least remove it away from the trunks at
    least a meter they should do better. Note that Paulownia is highly sensitive
    to herbicide damage so only Fluazifop grass killer may be used. If you have
    a sandy soil nematodes can be a problem as well.
    http://rosecare1.stores.yahoo.net/fusiladeii.html

4. saltcedar

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

They look like they need to be watered and mulched to me.

6. stevefal

stevefal Member

Thanks for your advice everyone!

I had sort of expected to hear the comment that they are really temperate climate trees, but I had thought maybe that wasn't the problem because it hadn't been that long yet- I'm not an expert, but I hadn't expected that to be a potential problem until closer to about a year after planting.

Anyway, we will discuss the idea of possibly trying another variety or species.

But in the meantime, saltcedar, you mentioned the possibility of nematodes being a problem. How do I tell and what might I be able to do about it?

7. saltcedar

There's no practical treatment for Nematodes(in tree crops). Mulch can help as can trap crops
    but ultimately you have to choose resistant species. If you find any nodules on
    the roots most likely nematodes are the culprit.

The info in the pdf's above mention watering more often
    for the age trees you have. That plus mulch may get them
    moving again. Mulching seems to be a foreign concept to
    so many in agriculture it boggles the mind. See a permaculture
    website for the value of mulches.
    http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip..._byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fullscreen=1

Last edited: May 14, 2012