Robson Square Tree

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by leaflet, Oct 10, 2004.

1. leaflet

leaflet Member

Hi,

I'm writing a short story set at the chess corner at Robson Square (Robson and Hornby), in which the trees at that corner play an important role. However, my friends disagree on what species tree they are: maples, elms, or plane trees. I think they're maples but can't be sure. Would anyone know if they are maples?

Thanks!

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

maples are opposite paired buds and leaves.

3. WildCityWoman

WildCityWoman Member

Tree story?

An article, you mean?

I actually have a fictional story I started years ago and it's about trees. I never did finish it.

Well, I don't live in B. C. (I was out there a year ago - Van, Victoria, etc.) So I don't know what these trees look like.

Can you tell me something? Why is it that all the sidewalks in Victoria are made from that pebbled stuff? Does it have something to do with the salt air?

:-0

4. lkliewer

lkliewer Active Member 10 Years

Pebbled sidewalks

I haven't been to Victoria for a while but I presume you are referring to "aggregate" which is concrete with little pebbles showing (not much concrete). Actually quite interesting how they do it -- they make concrete with the little pebbles in it and before it dries they spray some kind of chemical on it which prevents the top layer of concrete from hardening -- they spray that off which leaves the little pebbles exposed. They make planters and other things with it. Why they do it? looks? It is actually harder to shovel snow off it than smooth concrete....

5. leaflet

leaflet Member

Photos attached

The story is a fiction piece. I've included pictures of the tree in question as attachments (I hope I did it right). Thanks again!

Attached Files:

6. lkliewer

lkliewer Active Member 10 Years

Sugar maple

we have a tree like that in our back yard -- I have always called it a Sugar maple but then I haven't researched it. The leaves turn quite red in fall...