Old Meyer Lemon tree problems

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Nadine, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Nadine

Nadine Member

Hello. I have two 20+ year old Meyer lemon trees in the Bay Area of California, Zone 17. Both trees are planted in the ground and have produced hundreds of lemons year around. This year one tree produced lots of very tiny lemons, and the other produced fewer large lemons. Both trees are losing their inner leaves. One is losing its outer leaves as well. I don't fertilize or water these trees ever. They just have existed all these years. Are they dying a natural death after 20+ years? Is there something I can do? Thank you.

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Citrus trees need to be fed with a high-nitrogen fertilizer during periods of active growth. Nitrogen deficiency results in poor growth, uniformly pale yellow leaves which fall prematurely (older leaves are affected first), a poor fruit set and small-sized fruit. The symptoms relating to the fruit seem to match. How about the other symptoms? Other nutrients are probably also lacking if the trees have not been fertilized in over 20 years. I'm no expert but it sounds like your trees need to be fed. However, since it is late in the season, you may want to hold off fertilizing until next spring. Feeding now will promote new growth but there may not be enough time for that growth to harden off thus making it more susceptible to damage from cold weather.