faded stem colour on sango kaku, normal?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by shingo43, Aug 18, 2014.

1. shingo43

shingo43 New Member

hi, I recently bought a new sango kaku which was sitting in a pot for a long time, it's condition is not perfect but I bought it anyway cause I like this tree a lot.

I planted it in my south facing yard with full sun with little shade, I'd like to know if it is normal for it's stem colour to fade white and if there is anything I can do to help with to vivid its colour?

also should I worry about the scars?

here is my picture

Attached Files:

2. patdero1

patdero1 Active Member Maple Society

When you bought the tree was it in full sun ??

3. shingo43

shingo43 New Member

It was in full sun and was suffering from leaf scorch, I cut off some of the burnt leaves and as you can see the tree is growing new leaves now, I think it will survive but I'd like to know how do I improve the colour of the stems, thanks

4. DougieMapleSeed

DougieMapleSeed Active Member

In my experience with Acer p. 'Sango Kaku', the bark is most vividly red colored during dormancy and its brilliance tends to fade during the growing season. Also, older bark near the trunk of the tree tends to loses its red coloration as the tree matures leaving the red coloration only to the younger wood towards the extremities of the tree.

5. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Dougie's right.

I will add that the lower the temperatures in winter, the more vivid the red colour on the young branches is.

6. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

right season for best color bark is winter (nice contrast with snow) if PH is low the red is more bright

7. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

To confirm what Dougiemapleseed states please see pic of my S/K this January,couldn't put it better myself.

When planted behind a colourful backdrop it stands out even more, also when the frost starts to melt off the branches in the early morning sun it fair glistens.

Attached Files: