The giant Peace Lily is drooping.

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Izabella, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Izabella

Izabella Member

I have this giant Peace Lily, Spathiphyllum floribundum, that I bought a couple of months ago. When I bought it, it looked like the first picture - leaves standing up straight. The leaves were dirty and the plant potbound, so I transplanted it into a bigger pot, and cleaned the leaves with a damp rag. Now the leaves started drooping (see 2nd & 3rd pics) but the plant lookes healthy and growing. It lost its flowers since I bought it. I water it really good once a week, it gets no direct sunlight at all but it's in a room that has 8 windows facing north and west. Would anyone know why this plant is drooping and what can I do to help it?

Attached Files:

2. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

Soil should be kept moist but not soggy. Excessive drying out can cause the plant to wilt and the leaves and edges to yellow. When watering, use water that is at room temperature.
    It will survive low interior light but would prefer bright filtered light. Don't put it in direct sun

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

These require frequent watering.

4. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

What sort of pot is it in? Does it have a whole in the bottom? If it really is wilting that much on weekly watering, then it might help to put it in a bigger pot.

5. Izabella

Izabella Member

Thanks for all your replies. The plant is in a plastic 14" pot with holes on the bottom. It was in a 12" pot when I bought it. I just transplanted it a few weeks ago so I'm confident that a 14" pot is adequate for now. I used Miracle Grow potting mix. I will water it twice a week from now on to see what happens.

6. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Chances are the soil is holding too much water. This species does not like "wet feet". It does however enjoy being in slightly damp soil. If the soil stays too wet try re-potting it in a mixture that drains quickly but holds moisture. We've tried a number of soil mixtures for all our aroids and the one that works best is 50% Miracle Grow Moisture Control potting mix, 20% peat, 20% Perliteā„¢, and 10% orchid potting media such as Schultz which contains charcoal. The charcoal will help sweeten the soil. The other portions of the mix keep the soil moist but not soggy.

Now, I know for sure a few will say the orchid potting media should not be used. The most common comment is it will decay and leave air pockets in the soil. My mixture is now being used by many aroid enthusiasts with great results. One aroid researcher in South Florida has sent back information she has improved the flowering quality of plants by changing to the mixture. I'm sure the potting media will eventually become part of the soil but bark does the same thing in the rain forest. This mixture simply attempts to duplicate rain forest soil in a confined setting.

Bet you this mix will solve your problem if you water about every 4 to 5 days.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  7. Izabella

Izabella Member

Thanks! That sounds like a good mix.

8. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

also try giveing the pot a few good taps on the ground .. as there may have been some air pockets from repotting .. i had that happen with one of my plants i transplanted .. i didnt realise it till i went to take a chunk of the plant off fro inside the pot and there was a big air pocket .. and it also didn grow for a long time ..

Marn