compact yews didn't make it...

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by Harleygirl, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Harleygirl

Harleygirl Member

I am cursed with clay soil, with quite a bit of blue clay about a foot down....such is Oklahoma! I tried to work the soil over, remove the blue clay (mistake?), and add peat and sand (sand mistake?) . But they gradually browned up and died. I think I may have to raise my bed a little (it's against the house, and the house is on a gentle hill) to improve drainage. The spot was on the north side of the house, in part to full shade, with some morning sun. I am also wondering if it got too hot for them? (100+ isn't unusual in summer). Where they were is a part of the garden area that always seems to be moist, even in fairly arid summer conditions. (poorly drained clay?) Did I doom them from the start, and will it help if I raise the bed? They are already goners, but I wanted to try to fix things up and try more, if possible. Thanks for any help you can give me! :)

2. GRSJr

GRSJr Active Member 10 Years

I also garden on land which is heavy clay. I've killed a few Taxus before I learned to make raised beds of composted pine bark with a little of the natural soil mixed in.

I now have 3 Taxus brownii growing on the north side of the house, much as you describe, and 2 Taxus cuspidata that are nearly 20 years old. Also a Taxus baccata 'Repandens' that is growing in the shade of Rhododendron. I killed 3 of these before I found the right site. They can't stand the hot sun in winter and need good drainage.

Since pine bark drains quickly, I use drip irrigation to supply moisture during the hot summer weather.

Another approach is to use Cephalotaxus harringtonia v. drupacae. They seem to tolerate clay soil better, but they may not be hardy where you are.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Small amended areas dug out of clay may act as sumps. Yews are sensitive to impeded drainage.

4. GRSJr

GRSJr Active Member 10 Years

That's why I don't dig out. Just plant on the surface and surround with the bark/soil mixture tapering away gradually.

An interesting experience with Taxus brownii. One of the 3 planted on the north side of the house developed symptoms of Phytophthora root rot. Subdue drenches had no effect, so I tried a product called Messenger. It works by activating a gene in the plant that causes it's immune system to become hyperactive.

To my amazement, the shrub began to recover with one application. After a second application it is normal in every way and growing fine.

I'd had some experience with Messenger on Rhododendron with some remarkable success and some not so remarkable failure.
    So I had hopes, but the response of the Taxus brownii was beyound my hopes and expectations.