Seed starting

Discussion in 'Maples' started by maplesandpaws, Jun 9, 2014.

1. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

I collected this seed from the ground underneath my Nuresagi (there are still a few more on the tree, same with several of my other maples); is it 'ready' to be planted? How can I tell if/when the seeds are ready?

I've never started maple seeds before, for those who have, can you please give me tips on the best way to do this? They need to be stratified, right? Can I do this in my fridge? If so, how long?

Thanks!!

Attached Files:

2. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

The seeds are not usually ripe untill the fall, if they fall off now they are probably aborted. If they stay on the tree till September/October and look "full" they are more than likely viable, the best time to pick them is when the wings start to dry out.

Yes, the fridge is a good method for stratification; I prefer natural stratification outdoors, but winter might be too harsh where you live? Not sure on that one.

More info on stratification etc: http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=11439

3. kaydye

kaydye Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I just love growing maples from seeds. It is really easy. They do need to be collected in the fall, like October (as the previous post mentioned). I had a bumper crop last year for some reason, and had more than I could start. I did collect a bunch and just planted the seedlings in the ground today, probably over 100 with more to plant. They have such leaf color and shape variations. Like I said I'm hooked. Anyway, I just follow the directions in Vertrees. I put them in a plastic cup and fill with hot tap water and let the seeds sit overnight. Then I strain out the water, put them into a Ziploc sandwich bag with some damp potting soil and throw them in the produce bin of my fridge. Be sure to write the date you put them in. Mine start to sprout after about 120 days. When they do, I pot them into a good potting soil and put them under fluorescent lights. Once the weather is okay (around first of May) I harden them off like any seedling. I have used them for school projects (retired teacher) and to grow for grafting or just to watch for one or two I really like. Last fall my Usigumo had zillions. A lot of the seedlings were beautful pinks. I can't wait to see what they look like next year.

Oh, if you do have some seedlings that struggle, drop their leaves. If you look closely though, the little trunk will still look healthy and with buds. When these are planted in the ground, they usually are fine, just don't seem to like a pot. Maybe it's just me and my watering or soil, but I have always had luck with them coming back.

Hope this helps. Like I said, at the moment I am all excited having just planted all the "babies" today. Hopefully, the rabbits or deer or something won't eat them all tonight!
    Kay

4. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Thanks for the info and words of encouragement Kay :) I had thought spring was not the right time for seed collecting, but it is something I've thought of doing for a while, so I might as well give it a shot - nothing to lose and everything to gain.

5. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Seedling are huge fun! I've just been potting on from last year into 1 liter. You get an immense variety from most seed, especially with variegated maples in the mix. Only one warning, and it's a big one: you're about to take your maple addiction to a whole new level!!!

A disadvantage I've had with the outside natural stratification method is that mice got into the seed, and ate a lot of precious ones. However, if you have no mice :), it has the advantage of not needing to prick out just germinated seeds into pots; a very delicate time.

cheers,

-E