Acer campestre

Discussion in 'Maple Photo Gallery' started by Michael F, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Field Maple Acer campestre

Bit surprised to see there was no thread yet for the typical species, so here's some pics.

1, 2, 3: flowering shoots, 28 April.
    4: fruiting shoots, 16 August.

Attached Files:

2. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

very nice !!i have one! is very common in my country,like life pole for vitex (la vite maritata con il, loppio=acer campestre)Stradivari use the maple wood for one part of violino,the rich yellow of autumn leaves are wonderful with jm Fire glow...

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I thought I made a great discovery of these eight Acer campestre on the west side of Hillcrest Park across from Nat Bailey Stadium on Ontario at 33rd, but I see that Gerald Straley included this location in his Trees of Vancouver (UBC Press, 1992). Only this tree still has all its leaves (3rd photo is from a different individual, though).
    20111105_Ontario33rd_AcerCampestre_Cutler_IMAG1115.jpg 20111105_Ontario33rd_AcerCampestre_Cutler_IMAG1119.jpg 20111105_Ontario33rd_AcerCampestre_Cutler_IMAG1127.jpg 20111105_Ontario33rd_AcerCampestre_Cutler_IMAG1134.jpg

The shapes of these seem quite different. The three tallest trees are A. campestre in the first photo below. The one on the left is quite rounded, then a tall and narrow one, then in the other photos, two that seem to want to be a bit of both shapes.
    20111105_Ontario33rd_AcerCampestre_Cutler_IMAG1135.jpg 20111105_Ontario33rd_AcerCampestre_Cutler_IMAG1137.jpg 20111105_Ontario33rd_AcerCampestre_Cutler_IMAG1139.jpg

The lichens (?) seem to have taken a liking to all of them.
    20111105_Ontario33rd_AcerCampestre_Cutler_IMAG1145.jpg

4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

This photo taken today the 24th January 2021 shows the Campestre looking very Wintery. Its not all about the leaves.

Attached Files:

Soumil Yarlagadda likes this.
  5. alex66

two cultivar of this maple are very beautiful ,1) Acer campestre Pulverulentum and Acer campestre Carnival(not very stable prune necessary) another Postelense is interesting -unfortunately this cultivar aren't very popular-this maple and cultivars are easy to grown more than Acer palmatum cultivars

6. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

It's not surprising, Europe is their natural habitat. Here, they're often found in old live hedges like the ones bordering the slopes to the Loire when when there are "cliffs" : where I live, no more than 20 metres at the highest point ;-)

7. AlainK

Leaves from 3 Acer campestre, all "chance seedlings" (semis spontanés) that were brought he by the wind.

Top-left is in the ground, as a hedge tree. I took several root-cuttings from it, the leaf in the bottom-left is a clone used as a bonsai. The other two are also chance seedlings :

CompAcerCampestre_211020a.jpg

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  8. alex66

Two leaves look like hibryd withAcer monspessulanum

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  9. AlainK

The only monspessulanum(s) in a hundred miles around are mine, and they've never flowered so far.

When the leaves are cut, they leak white sap, which is typical of Acer campestre. It's not the case with monspessulanum.

I saw messages on Facebook pages showing variants of Acer campestre, one from a hundred kilometres or so from where I live, it was exactly the same.

Someone from Slowekia also posted photos of variants in his area (mine are a bit like the 3 ones in the top right-hand corner):

A.camp-var.jpg

10. Soumil Yarlagadda

Soumil Yarlagadda Well-Known Member Maple Society

original.jpg original (1).jpg original (2).jpg
    A field maple in Sacramento, CA, US.

Acerholic likes this.
  11. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

This is of course the most important test, and can rule out many "sometimes similar" maples.

The maple I described to you recently, from Solutré, looked just like the leftmost bottom leaf. It was hardly recognizable, but it was indeed a field maple.

12. Soumil Yarlagadda

germinating seeds

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  13. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Are these from the tree in Sacramento? If so it's great to have some provenance

14. Soumil Yarlagadda

Nope, unfortunately the seeds from sacramento were all unviable and empty. I bought these seeds online, they were collected in Hungary. I always had avery hard time germinating acer campestre, but i think the key is splitting the small embryo from the shell and then soak them and strattify for 2-3 months. Which is why in the photo , the intact samara did not germinate, but the embryo without the pericarp did.

Acerholic likes this.
  15. AlainK

Hi Soumil,

Here, they're brought by the wind and grow like weed. I suppose the soil, the ecosystem is more favorable here in the Loire valley,France, and in Hungary too. I'm in USDA zone 8b-9a, a very different climate than in Rancho Santa Margarita, Cal.

In the regions where it can be dry and hot in summer, they're replaced by Acer mospessulanum - which by the way also thrives here though it's not their native range.
    The ones I have (or had because I gave some, and others trained as bonsai died because of lack of watering in their very, too small pot) are thriving. They are from two different locations, I picked the seeds in august, in Ardèche (limestone "chaos"), or around Brive la Gaillarde, Corrèze - can't remember the name of the village, and there are both calcareous rocks and sandstone formations in the area).

16. Michael F

They used not to self-sow up here in coastal NE England, the summers (influenced by the adjacent cool North Sea) were too cool for the seeds to mature, despite being only 100 km north of the native range. But in the last 15-20 years, they have started self-sowing freely, one of the clearest signs of climate change I have seen here. By contrast, Acer pseudoplatanus, which used to self-sow abundantly, only rarely does so now; it likes a cooler climate.

Soumil Yarlagadda and AlainK like this.
  17. Soumil Yarlagadda

The heatwaves are getting excruiating in europe. I think the buildings there aren't meant to keep homes cool, so more and more people will succumb to them unfortunately. I used to be a climate change fanatic, but I realized theres not much we can do to stop the heating, we can mitigate it by reducing emissions tremendously (which seems impossible until the next century), but the warming going to happen. Solar geoengineering is another alternative, and as we have seen, the volcanic eruption of mount pinatubo in 1991 cooled the earth pretty significantly for another 2 years. If mankind would band together and emulate this eruption by launching reflective particles into the atmosphere (wouldnt be popular with a large amount of people, including me) We could stop global warming altogether. Or, I think its just a matter of adaptation, which humans are very good at. We could move north, or alter our housing to match the warming Earth.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2023
    AlainK likes this.
  18. AlainK

Interesting. I also live in zone 8/9 but our summers are probably a tad warmer and drier (it was this year!)
    Is it the same with Acer platanoides ? It's true that there are a lot here, but we can see much fewer A. psudoplatanus.
    There's a place nearby which has been left to its own for several years, and a lot of maples are growing freely there, but I can't remember whether they're sycamore or Norway maples.
    I must go and take photos...

19. AlainK

I do have an Acer pseudoplatanus that self-sowed in the back of my garden. Though it never sees the sun because there are other trees on one side, and the privet hedge of my neighbour. The former owner would trim the hedge to 1.50 metres, but the new one let it grow to over 2 metres and there's even an elderberry that found its place and is at least 4 metres high now!

I cut it to the base, but now it's as thick as my wrist, so I just cut off the new shoots. Anyway, I hate to have to kill a maple ;-)
    I suppose the white spots (fungal disease probably) are because it's always in the shade.

acer-Pseudoplatanus_230728a.jpg

20. Michael F

Yes, worse and worse, pretty much year on year. Last year, my home town got 37°C; the previous absolute maximum was 30.0°C.

And sorry, but no, people are not that adaptable. "We could move north" - a few could; but not 5 billion people, it's just not possible. We absolutely must cut CO₂, drastically, and very fast, if humanity, and global ecology, is to have any chance of survival. I just hope it's not already too late.

AlainK and Soumil Yarlagadda like this.
  21. AlainK

Unfortunately, you're right Michael.

On the news channels here, they speak about how the corals are damaged by the unusual heat in the Mediterranean, and it's the same in Florida, or Australia.
    (some) People invest a lot of time, energy and money to clone and preserve what can be saved.

Moving north ? That's what thousands, millions of people are doing, from Africa to Europe, from South America to the US, and I think it's not only a matter of political situations. When there's plenty of ressources for the people, even if their government is corrupted, people just want to stay where they were born, where their family, their history is.

I have friends who are from Chile, Spain for the older ones, Benin, Kosovo... I had pupils who spent months in the jungle to flee Pol Pot's regime. They didn't move "north". They just fled for their lives, sometimes paying a huge amount of money to reach a democratic country.

People are adaptable to new environments like the cultural and political system (when they can't, that's where the troubles begin), but when the forests are burning, the oceans are so warm that the living things in there die, will they move to the Arctic where people used to live in igloos ? They don't any more, and the ice is melting.

"Adapting" means making decisions, maybe drastic measures.
    I don't think we, westerners with the capital that enables us to buy air-conditionning (powered by fossil fuel) are ready for that.

Rain at last ! It lasted for about 10-12 minutes, but was very heavy. Snails will love it... ;°)

jardin_230729c.jpg