Mystery plant with large blue seed pods.

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by GrandmaSheila, Oct 15, 2006.

1. GrandmaSheila

GrandmaSheila Member

Hi,
    I'm new to this list and am looking for help in identifying a tree or shrub which is in the garden of my daughter's newly purchased home. It is about 10 ft tall and hasn't had any outstanding features until we noticed that 5 huge blue-grey seed pods have developed. I took one to a nursery and was told that they were a very poisonous castor bean, however in my subsequence search for castor plants on the internet I could find nothing similar, and the leaves are not at all like those of castor plants. The seeds within the pod are each enclosed in a gelatinous substance. That is a dime in front of the seeds in the picture of the pods. I would appreciate your help in solving this mystery.
    Thank you
    GrandmaSheila

Attached Files:

2. pierrot

pierrot Active Member 10 Years

3. GrandmaSheila

GrandmaSheila Member

Thank you for your amazingly quick reply and the link to the photo. I'm really inspired to ask more questions now!
    Sheila

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

5. GrandmaSheila

GrandmaSheila Member

Thanks for the link, Daniel.
    Those opening leaves are beautiful. We'll pay attention to the changes next spring.
    GrandmaSheila