Help with these two flowers?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Danielle B, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Danielle B

Danielle B Member

Hello! I'm a new member, and I've just returned from a trip through Alberta and BC doing lots of photography. Most of the flowers I wanted to photograph were being blown around too much - were just a series of pretty blurs! But here are two that I'd really like to know the names of. The yellow/white one was taken at the Johnstone Creek campsite near Osoyoos, and the other on Highway 1 somewhere south of Cache Creek, both within the past two weeks (to give you an idea of when they bloom).

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hello Danielle,

The first is meadow death-camas - Zigadenus venenonus. Highly poisonous, First Nations from the area used the mashed bulbs for arrow poison (according to Plants of Southern Interior BC by Parish, Coupe and Lloyd).

The second is showy milkweed, or Asclepias speciosa. Again, this plant is poisonous. The milky sap contains glycosides. Milkweeds are the favoured host plants of monarch butterfly caterpillars - as the caterpillars eat the leaves, the poisons accumulate in the tissue of the insect (they are immune). When they undergo metamorphosis and emerge as butterflies, the poisons remain in the insect's tissue, and birds only need to eat one before they learn to avoid monarch butterflies. Viceroy butterflies are also avoided by birds. They look similar to monarchs, but are not poisonous. Since their wing patterning mimicks the monarchs, birds also associate them with the distasteful monarch.

3. Danielle B

Danielle B Member

Thank you! :-)