cherry tree

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by whamgazza, Aug 24, 2015.

1. whamgazza

whamgazza New Member

hi all. can anyone please give me some advise. i have a cherry tree in my front garden about 4-5 meters from my house. it blocks out so much light. i would like to remove it. 1, would there be any damage to the house from the roots if i do this and 2, what is the best way of removing it. many thanks for your help.

whamgazza

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

At 4-5 meters from your house, the roots of the cherry tree are unlikely to damage the foundation. If the tree is very large, I would be more concerned about cutting the tree down safely than root damage. I cut down a 40 year old sweet cherry tree in my back yard a couple of years ago. Its trunk was about 1.5 ft in diameter at the base, and I dug up the stump. The resulting hole was not much larger than 2 meters in diameter and maybe 1 meter deep. Any roots near your house foundation do not have to be disturbed; just cut them off and let them rot in place.

3. TheScarletPrince

TheScarletPrince Member

...Can't that create sinkholes? In my mind, when the root rots it will leave an air pocket that can collapse... thus sinkhole.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Sweet cherry can often be suckering, so it seems cut off root sections might sprout their own tops.

5. TheScarletPrince

TheScarletPrince Member

Yikes, that could also pose some serious problems and perhaps make the issue even worse (cherry tree in your patio? in your house? anyone?).

I'd say, if the tree isn't bothering anything just leave it put and trim it (or get an arborist to do it for you if you want a professional job).
    You could always shape the tree into some artful design, too!~ :)

6. Delvi83

Delvi83 Active Member

I think that if you cut it to the ground level you'll not have any suckers...if it was let boil 2 litres of water, overthrow on the roots and they will die for sure

7. Gollum

Gollum New Member

Sie können seine Zweige schneiden, um sein Wachstum zu hemmen.