Please Help

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by bigace, Aug 15, 2014.

1. bigace

bigace Active Member

Here in Johnson County Kansas along 10 Hwy & 7 Hwy there is a spot for about 50 yards or more just covered with this Growth,,,it is about 3' tall and just Beautiful in the Late Morning. Can't really tell if it was Planted by the State,,there is a little on the other side of the Hwy but that is it,,NO where else have I seen this and I drive a Truck around the City all Day long.Anyone Recognize this?? I would love to have some on the Notrh side of my House! Tom

Attached Files:

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Looks like Lathyrus latifolius, Perennial Pea.

Started plants from seed in my garden several years ago, where they---and their multitudes of offspring!---enthusiastically live up to their name.
    I like mine a lot, and so do the bees---but: know that it is a gregarious plant, will want to go make friends ALL OVER your yard and garden. I yank out bales of plants that crop up everywhere. When the pods dehisce the seeds can be propelled some distance. (So am I, when the pods POP unexpectedly!)

My plants grow up a trellis. Well, that's the idea! In practice more like 'grow around and overwhelm'. Periodically I loosely truss up the growth so that the garden and yard are not completely covered.
    This year the plants have exceeded the top of the trellis, which is about 6' high.

If you have the space to let your peas roam free, go for it!

3. bigace

bigace Active Member

Thank You very much,,,sorry it took so long to reply,,,wonder if I walked over there this time of year that I could find these pods you speak of? Happy Holidays

4. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Daresay you could find some in an area the size of that shown in photos.
    Bet wishes to you, too!