Culinary: More details on growing herbs indoors

Discussion in 'Herbs for the Kitchen' started by fsjjane, Feb 5, 2009.

1. fsjjane

fsjjane Member

Hello,
    So I started the seeds in little pots that was a chia gift for xmas. U plant them in a sponge basically that fits the pot. I purchased a grow bulb from walmart and turn that on for approx 16 hours per day. Everything looks good and healthy and is only a wk old. I have the little clay pots sitting in a glass tray with 1/4 to a 1/2 " of water. I fertilized with1 drop of liquid plant fert in a cup of wate and poured thru the sponges. Does anyone know about the fert...how often...what method...what stuff to use...etc. I am having a contest with afriend whom has a grow gadjet from canadian tire which cost $150. and trying to get similar results for lowbucks. I am growing basil, parsley and cilantro...Our weather has been cold...way below 0 but so far so good.

2. sir grow a lot

sir grow a lot Member

do NOT fert for the first month, and even then, you'd want to start at a low diluted dose to ensure it won't burn the plant.

so far so good, just keep it up, what types of lights are you using? if they're cfl's then keep them close to the seedlings so they wont stretch, a fan would also help strengthen the main branches of the herbs as well.

if you'd like, you can supplement the plant with a vitamin B solution (SuperThrive is great).

3. fsjjane

fsjjane Member

Hi there, thanks for the reply...I am using a single cfl bulb and have been keeping the bulb up about 5 or 6 inches so will move it closer.

4. Vertical Veggies

Vertical Veggies Member

keep the light closer, if it wont spread over all your plants, get a few more. The cfls wont generate alot of heat so you can put it close to the plants without frying them.

5. fsjjane

fsjjane Member

Thanks for the tip. The basil has been growing pretty well for a couple of months. One question, now the leaves seem to be getting smaller...I snip the tops off to make it bush out more but I don't get those huge leaves anymore. Is there a nitetime low minimum? Sometimes the heat goes down to 10c. I have it close to the window as well so it can pick up the sun when there is some. Not today....-4 and snowy again!!!