In The Garden: believe it is a medicinal plant

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by sumitatubc, Jul 3, 2009.

1. sumitatubc

sumitatubc Member

I want to learn how to identify plants a little faster using the web but it is one of those areas on the web that I think is "search deficient" - I know the information is out there, but finding the right search-patterns is proving difficult. I've been working with the web but I'm not certain that any database will have all plants [of course not] as I see US web sites specializing in US plants for selection of planting. What I want to do is learn how someone who can identify this plant for example characterizes it first and then I will know how to search in future. I don't know the id of this plant - or don't recall. Getting me close will help me complete the search. Please advise.

Some characteristics. Herb (not tree), stem is stiff [almost like a Salvia], leaves have network of veins, small yellow flower, pod [like a husk tomato, but not] with one fruit inside, fruit has multiple seeds. No milk in stem or leaves.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  2. tipularia

tipularia Well-Known Member 10 Years

A photo of a fresh flower would help, and your location. Things to make note of when trying to identify a plant are color, number of petals, sepals, and stamens, ovary characteristics, leaf types and arrangements, and hairiness. Also learn the characteristics of the different plant families.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Specimen shown has flowers on it. Believe the similarity to husk tomato is due to it being a relation.

4. sumitatubc

sumitatubc Member

Added some more photos.

Flower turns into husk for certain.
    This is close to husk-tomato descriptions however the stems are not vine-y line at all, but woody and stiff. It's close though I have to admit.

Also, the pods are tiny - where husk tomatoes - tomatillo at least yields a fruit that is sized enough to eat.

I'm leaning towards Cape Gooseberry but the leaves [edge] are not serrated like a tomato or cape-goosebery.

The similarities are similar there ... so going down that road.

Physalis peruviana - Fam Solanaceae.

What do you think?

Attached Files: