New Japanese Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by whis4ey, Mar 27, 2007.

1. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

Attached Files:

2. Jan M

Jan M Member

Hi Sam congrats for expanding your collection, hihi I see on the picture you still have place enough to plant them, congratulations for your Japanese garden ! Hope you enjoy the new cultivars. By the way I see they have nice advertisement on their website. Interesting special packages with 4 or 8 different cultivars for starters of maple collection.

greetings Jan

3. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Jan
    I can find no reference to Hemelbrijk other than Esveld's aite
    I understand that it is a Dutch word, and the name of a town in Holland. Also a Dutch surname. Presumably it is named after the town or someone called Hemelbrijk who propagated it?
    Is there a translation for the word? Or do you have different information on this?

4. Jan M

Jan M Member

Sam, yes on Esveld site you can find plant info but no information who "created" the cultivar. Could not find anything either about Hemelrijk.
    But it is a Dutch name indeed. I can't give the translation for the word hemelrijk but when we split the word....hemel is translated into heaven and rijk should be empire or kingdom, state.
    It is just a name given by probably a Dutch propagator. Probably in English language it should be heavenempire if I translate direct.
    Sorry can't help you more, even google won't give that much info about Hemelrijk.

5. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi I use the motor Yahoo (Italy) I write Hemelrijk "nursery" and I find in 10° positions ( in first page) Hemelrijk selection named after Cyrille......... I see that exist also oak Hemlrijk.alex

6. seagonus

seagonus Active Member 10 Years

The picture you posted gave me a chuckle.

How can we tell you were pretty excited about getting the trees??? Well, the cardboard box is ripped open in the background, and newspaper stuffing is strewn about the grass.

Congrats, I would be excited too.