Curling jasmin leaves

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Preet, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Preet

Preet Member

Hello, please help!

My beloved indoor jasmine plant is throwing me for a loop. The newer leaves, especially on a very rapidly growing shoot, are beginning to curl and in later stages brown at the edges, eventually drying up and shrivelling like prunes. The leaves start out very green dark green. The older leaves are fine, and display no sort of abnormal behaviour. The curling leaves are also smaller in size (vs. older leaves), and appear warty (the leaves are bumpy).

To top that off the plant is in full bloom releasing fragrant new flowers. It smells gorgeous right now, but yet there are leaves that don't quite look right. Is this a nutrient defficieny? Or too much heat. The plant is by a window and receives some afternoon-evening sunlight.

I am in love with this plant, please help me save it.

Thank you!

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi Preet, have you looked really close for bugs? My jasmines seem prone to mites. I get a leaf curl and drying on the fresh growth (it quickly spreads to the whole plant though). Too much hot sun could be a problem but I would expect a more general response from the plant. Maybe you can post a photo or scan of the problem leaves.

3. Preet

Preet Member

mites!?

no, i dont' see any critters. i did look extensively under and on top of the leaves, and the surface of the soil. i will do my best to send a photo soon.

thanks for the prompt reply!

preet

4. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

Preet,

Because you're in the Vancouver area, you could always bag a sample and bring it to the Botanical Garden for the Hortline volunteers to look at.

5. Jasmin care

I purchased a Jasmin plant this spring. It is in a pot and is on my porch. I gets about 6 hours full sun a day in summer but will only get about 3 in winter. My question is care for the winter? I live in the Mission BC. How much frost will it take or should I bring it in for the winter? Is there a good website I can go to to get care information?

Thank you in advance

Connie Hyams