Require a little help x__x

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by Sarosh, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Sarosh

Sarosh Active Member

Hello,

I live in Toronto and as you know we have very cold winters. Its March and we still have lots of snow outside.
    I planted Dicentra spectabilis [pink], Heleborus niger and Freesia double last year around mid-summer and none of them grew. I am hoping they might grow this year, is there a chance? I tried to do some research but could not exactly find if they are suitable for Toronto. Plus some sites kept telling about hardiness of these plants according to zones and I dont know what zone I live in and honestly I couldnt find either *embarrassed*.
    Any help will be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Sarosh.

P.S. are they annual or perennial ?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

All are perennials, where hardy. However, the freesia is tender and would not be likely to overwinter outdoors there. The bleeding heart comes up in time to bloom in May-June (here), maybe yours will appear later. The hellebore is evergreen and has a crown that sits on top of the ground at all times, if you see nothing you have nothing - unless you planted seeds instead of plants, in which case perhaps you will get germination later in the year.

3. Sarosh

Sarosh Active Member

Thanks a lot Ron.
    Its nice to know they are perennials. I had about 30 Freesia bulb and I so dearly hope that they grow but I can not say anything at this time. It will be sad if they don't.
    About Bleeding heart and helleborus, I remember that one of them was bulb and other was like roots but i dont precisely remember which one was which. So, I didnt plant the plant but bulb/root.
    I really hope all of them germinate.

4. smivies

smivies Active Member

Sorry, no chance for the Freesias. There are some borderline bulbs that you can baby through a Toronto winter. Freesia however, is not one of them.

If your bleeding heart and helleborus were still alive (dormant but alive) when you planted them, they should come up this spring.

5. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

I agree with the above. Your zone in Toronto is probably something like 5, with higher numbers meaning a warmer zone. Plant tags will usually give you a range, say Zone 4-8, meaning it will get through as cold a winter as zone 4 can muster.

By the way, the word "germinate" is usually saved for seeds - plants/bulbs like you've got usually get referred to as sprouting, emerging, or growing.

By the way again, some bleeding hearts go dormant in late summer before other stuff dies down, so, assuming it will grow, don't panic when it fades later.

6. Sarosh

Sarosh Active Member

Thanks a lot Smivies =)
    I think i have to come up with a plan to cover the ground where i was hoping for Freesia to grow.

Thanks a lot KarinL =]
    you are so awesome for clearing terms n concepts for me. I am really thankful for that. I shall not forget to check the zones next time I go buying some plants/blub/seeds.
    I am keeping my fingers crossed for bleeding heart.
    What about Helleborus ? any chance for them ?

Thanks alot to all of you smart people for helping newbie gardeners like myself who have no knowledge what so ever of plants.

7. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Hi Sarosh--as Ron mentioned, the helleborus niger is evergreen, so it really should have had some leaves on it in mid-summer when you purchased it.

By any chance did you buy the helleborus and dicentra in a package, (rather than in a pot with soil)...and without any leaves, just kind of a root system in some peat moss...?

8. Sarosh

Sarosh Active Member

yes, i did buy both of them in a package with some moss or what ever it comes with & not in a pot.
    Does that make a big difference ??
    o.O

9. growest

Hi again Sarosh--I think I've figured out what you bought, and understand better what has happened with your "plants".

I hope you won't be discouraged from your new interest in gardening...none of us could have gotten plants to grow from what you purchased...I'm pretty sure there was nothing alive in the dicentra and helleborus packages.

These packaged plants show up in spring, usually from Holland, and could be planted immediately to get some kind of plant to grow. By mid-summer however, the packages should have been removed from the sales area, since the roots would have died off in their dark, dry but warm surroundings...this is the fault of the guys selling these packages. The freesia does have more of a bulb that might have survived in its package, but is not at all hardy...even here on the west coast.

So I really doubt there is anything still alive from your previous plantings.

However, spring is coming, and with it lots of choices at your garden retailers. Personally I would hesitate to buy anything in those packages, but if you planted them real quick after they showed up in the stores, they might be a bit cheaper way to establish some plants. Otherwise I'd usually look for plants already in growth in containers.

Get some perennials of your choice during the prime planting season coming up and enjoy seeing them take off with the coming warm weather! (Is your snow melting yet? I'm not sure when the time for perennial planting is over there...but generally after the hard frosts are past for you).

10. Sarosh

Sarosh Active Member

Hey Growest,

Thank you so much for taking your time and explaining things to me, I am truly thankful. It is sad to know that I won't have plants from any of the bulbs I panted last year but at least now I know the mistakes I made. And no, I am that discourage yet =]

Snow melting !! NO ! We are having a snow storm right now and according to weather forecast, snow is not leaving us any soon. It is usually said the frost ends here almost around the end of April. So when do you think is the better time for me to buy new bulb? By hard frost you mean the end of the frost or just when weather starts getting pleasent and not very chilly at night but just little ?

The reason I bought bulbs were because I could not find those plants in pot. Usually I shop for garden at Canadian Tire & Home Depot and they do not have a very vast variety of perennials in pots there. They usually have annuals in pots and I wanted to buy perennials so that I would not have to spend money on plants every summer. I have a lot of ground to cover. And I don’t know any nursery around as well. But Thank you so much for your help, I will try if I could find a nursery near by or will try to buy plants on pot.

Take Care,
    Sarosh

11. growest

Hey Sarosh--Ontario's a pretty big place, so not sure when the planting season would be where you are...usually a bit before the annuals go in, since your perennials are pretty hardy. But no point in planting if the ground's frozen, or going to snow a lot still. The best advice would be from someone in your area, esp. if you could find an actual plant nursery there rather than the store's you mention which sell plants as a sideline.

To cover a lot of ground you need lots of small plants...you did have the right idea buying the roots in packages...lowest cost, you supply the time and care to grow the plants to full size. Keep your eyes open for good deals, and plant the perennials in the spring while your plants are vigorous and ready to grow when purchased.

The cheapest price turned out to be no deal after all...dead roots are a bad deal no matter how cheap. I hope that you can get some nice plants established in the next few months, at a reasonable cost. Good luck with them!

12. Sarosh

Sarosh Active Member

Thanks you so very much for all your help, time and patience =]

13. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

I am not sure with your weather but if bulbs are a problem try using pots that can be over wintered. I do the pot thing but it is to make sure I don't loose them to dry weather. For example lillies.

Liz

14. Sarosh

Sarosh Active Member

Thanks Liz =]