Flowering Almond

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by BetteTheRed, May 17, 2004.

1. BetteTheRed

BetteTheRed Member

I have a flowering almond in full sun, average garden soil (clay). It's at least 35 years old and has flowered poorly for the last couple of years. There are a lot of dead branches on it (or apparently dead with one small live branch). I did prune it last summer after it flowered (cut out obviously dead wood, shaped it a little), but it hasn't improved. Would a flowering plant fertilizer help next spring's display? Any suggestions?

2. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

The drought we've had lately has been really hard on many plants, causing them to die back. This may be the problem with your Almond. You can prune away dead branches at any time. This summer looks like there will be more drought. To make the Almond nicer next year use a soaker hose to keep the plant well watered. That's all anyone here has suggested, and unless you know about some problem with your soil fertilizers aren't reccomended, as they can burn the plant.
    I'm not sure how you are pruning it, but Prunus triloba is a group 5. That means it can be cut back on ALL stems to the stong buds or developing shoots close to the base of the plant. This is done to promote repleacement growth and can be done every year after the flowering has finished.