Bitter cucumbers?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by red1121, Aug 27, 2007.

1. red1121

red1121 Member

my parents have had a veggie garden ever since i can remember... but recently (past couple years) their cucumbers have been becoming bitter, even if all the skin is removed. Somtimes it's not even the entire cucumber, only parts (the ends)..... and not every cucumber on the vine is bitter. I was hoping someone could shed some light on this subject so i can pass on some helpful info to them. thanks

2. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

Bitter cukes are often the result of hot dry conditions.

Skeet

3. seagonus

seagonus Active Member 10 Years

I have heard variety and watering sparodically makes cukes bitter, but I am starting to think it is my soil PH. . . I dunno.

Stay away from the Long English varieties, they are more bitter I have been told.

Look for Summer Sweet (I think they are called) cured someone I know of having bittter cukes. I will try them next year.

4. Ottawa-Zone5

Ottawa-Zone5 Active Member

Lack of water is one the causes for bitterness of cucumber. However, as the vine gets older, the vine end of the fruits starts to tast bitter. The later the seaon & lack of water the more the bitterness and to a longer portion of the fruit. At least that is how I observed it in a number of varieties.