Gunnera seeds

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by Dunc, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Dunc

Dunc Active Member

Hi folks, mt Gunnera Tinctoria seeds are now dry enough to mail away. If anyone wants to start this enormous plant, drop me an a-mail. As well I still have an over abundant supply of Pacific Giant Delpheniums, 3 colours mixed, for free.

Enjoy the earth Dunc

2. keaganp

keaganp Active Member

Hey dunc
    I've seen this plant growing in BC. It is crazy huge. I wonder if i could grow it indoors for the winter and outside in the summer.
    maybe we could do a little trade?

3. Dunc

Dunc Active Member

I should really warn you first, before you get into this huge plant, that it is really a big critter. I have moved pieces of it 3 times in some of my travels and each time it gets a new larger space. Once I used a hand saw to saw off a new terminal to transplant, it is big. Now its in a 8' circular bordered lawn area , has about 5 main nodes and takes over and is getting bigger. I plant nasturtiums, primula and poppys around the base in the spring and by summer, they are peeking out under the blanket of leaves.

It should be started inside and planted out in the spring. The seeds will likely need a month or two in the fridge and then a winter/spring planting will give you a first year plant to about 12" and by year 3, leafs as big as the hood of a full sized truck. It does need A LOT of water! Witer protection may be a problem for you. Mine do quite fine burried under their own fronds to about -10C but, I have not tryed colder.

Give me your address, through the forum system and I will mail out a bunch this week.

Think spring, Dunc

4. keaganp

keaganp Active Member

Thanks Dunc for those seeds. Ill send you a little something of my seed collection.

5. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

Thanks for the seeds!!!