Plastic grid under Vancouver's grass: Dangerous

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Marsman, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Marsman

Marsman Member

Hi,

I have started working at an organic landscape gardener in Vancouver a few months ago. On almost every property that I've worked on there is a non-biodegradable plastic grid underneath the grass sod. When we are raking this grid often snags on the rake, pulling up nearby grass. I have mentioned this to my partner. She said that she knows this plastic grid to be dangerous. Children and Dogs have lost toes while running on grass where this grid is exposed.

Does anyone have any further information on this topic? Has there been any debate or back lash towards the sod producers around the lower mainland? Has anyone ever tried to stop them using it? Can it be removed before the sod lain onto the ground? Should the landscapers to blame? Are there any other bad environmental effects besides: 1. the potential for toe removal
    2. the fact that there's plastic everywhere under the grass?
    3. even it it did go the landfill it would be as dangerous to scavening animals as those plastic six-pack-o'beer holders.
    I would be greatful for any info on this topic! I'd personally like to get rid of the stuff!

Thanks,
    Marsman
    BSc Botanical Sciences

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

quite the first post.

yes, the turf netting is a PITA. I havent heard of anyone trying to stop the sod farms from using it. yes, the turf netting is a PITA. I dont know if there are alternatives to the plastic, non biodegradeable netting. yes, the turf netting is a PITA. Should someone find a better way? yes, the turf netting is a PITA.

:)

3. Dixie

Dixie Active Member

what is its purpose? i have never seen sod with that before?

4. jimmyq

I believe its is to hold the roll in tact while installing etc.

5. Dixie

Dixie Active Member

isn't that the purpose of a good root system? it also seems like it would cost more since plastic ins't cheap. i am just curiuos as i have never seen that technique used before. is it used on a specific type of turf?

6. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

It is used to hold the immature grass and root system together for an earlier harvest, giving the turf grower a chance for additional crops in a season. The installers also like it because there is less loss due to handling, so you don't have to buy as much reserve or extra. The new owner likes it because nobody tells him or her about it, and most of the time they never have cause to worry about it. Under these circumstances, the growers will continue to use it unless 1. a large number of customers complain about it and the installers start to request meshless turf, or 2. somebody sues over the loss of a toe.

There is another much tougher mesh product used to reinforce grass areas that are used for (for instance) temporary parking and also for erosion control, but I'm guessing that's not what you are complaining about.

I agree, it's a PITA.

Ralph

7. jamkh

jamkh Active Member

jimmy, why not get someone to come out with a biodegradable mesh and make pots of money as well?

8. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

We bought some sod last summer, and not knowing that netting was a likelihood we did not look to avoid it and ... there it is in our yard. It is ugly in the areas where the sod did not quite take, and it does bug me that it's there, but where it really got on my nerves was when trying to dispose of the extra pieces that are inevitably left over. Yard waste or compost? Garbage?

9. jimmyq

the netting is garbage Karin, its not going to compost any time soon.

10. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Well I knew that, but try separating it from the compostable part. Hard to throw that much compostable waste in the garbage if you have an environmental sensibility.

11. jimmyq

Karin, I agree, it usually gets caught up in a rake. but, its a PITA as I have said previously in the thread. I have pulled it up by hand in yard before too, when replacing the grass.

12. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

What's a 'PITA', please ?

13. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

Okay, never mind - I think I figured it out!

14. jimmyq

PITA = pain in the a..
    :)