Vine with white flowers - identification?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by higgihaven, Sep 5, 2004.

1. higgihaven

higgihaven Member

Hi,
    I am new here, but I already think this is a nice site.

Anyhoo... I have this vine growing on my porch which has little white flowers (no scent). It has never grown there before. We have all kinds of things pop up here and there, so I am not surprised. It could possibly have grown from some "ivy" I had growing in my flower boxes last year and discarded on the grownd beneath them, as the start of this vine did seem to have variagated leaves. However we had a very moist spring, so it is hard telling if that was true variagation. The thought of poison ivy has come and gone, as some of the leaves "could be", however I have touched it some and didn't react, so... I am wondering if it is some hybrid split or something (don't know if there is such thing with this kind of plant). Trying to decide if I should totally eradicate it, or just cut it back this fall... it is kind of pretty.

Here are some photos. I apologize if they are small...wasn't sure what size would take here.

Thanks for any info.

Attached Files:

2. It's a clematis.

3. ian rodger

ian rodger Member Maple Society

Climber i.d.

Looks like the white form of Clematis montana to me. It flowers profusely in May here in the U.k. and is a very rampant grower, covering a pergola in only a few years. Cut back hard directly after flowering if it gets out of control, otherwise just let it grow and enjoy.

4. higgihaven

higgihaven Member

Okay, thanks... that actually had crossed my mind; We have a purple clematis growing in the back yard, and these kind of look like just the centers of those flower. The purple ones are very large, and these are tiny in comparison... but yeah, that confirms my suspicions. Thus I shall trim it back in a few weeks, and let it grow again next year; It has made a bit of shade, and adds a little more color (green) to the porch along with the flower boxes (pansies) and pots full of coleus and dusty miller... My front door ended up with quite the old fashined charm with very little effort (somewhat accidental heehee).

...well, okay, the slug slime on the I/O carpet adds a nice touch too o_0.

Attached Files: