Need to identify a berry bush

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by CanCricket, May 25, 2011.

1. CanCricket

CanCricket Member

Hello,

I have a very unattractive bush in my newly acquired apartment garden. I'm tempted to just pull the thing out, but I'd love to know what it is first. Maybe it's worth keeping??? It's about 2 feet tall and has largish (~1cm) red berries(?) on it. I've included pictures below. Anyone know what it is? I am in Vancouver, BC.

Attached Files:

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

3. CanCricket

CanCricket Member

Really? So I'm going to have roses? When do they start to bloom?

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I see flower buds in the photos, so should be blooming soon. Roses are generally pruned for shape and such in late Winter, while they are dormant. So if you decide to keep the plant, you may want to read up on doing that before next year.

5. CanCricket

CanCricket Member

Thanks to both of you for your information. I am so glad I didn't pull the bush up. The garden is small but looks like a terrible wilderness as the previous tenant didn't do anything to it. I've made only a small dent in making it look nice and I was just tempted to pull everything out and start again! I'm so glad now that I left that bush alone.

Now, to get back to pulling out all the long grass & weeds that are in there!

6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Looks like a wild-type rose, might not be quite what you expect in terms of flower quality! Look up Rosa canina to give you some idea of what to expect.