best choice for rooftop shrubs/trees?

Discussion in 'Small Space Gardening' started by astrid, Apr 11, 2008.

1. astrid

astrid Member

what are the best choices for tree or shrubs for a rooftop location?

i was thinking dwarfish conifers and/or broadleaved evergreens but i need a more precise species list. (also sourcing tips would be good too)

i am new to Vancouver and not too familiar with what works best and requires the least amount of care/watering and overwinters well.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Big planters that don't freeze up like bricks can support just about anything that might be grown in the ground here - and will be adapted to the level of exposure to sun and wind that is present on the site. As far as maintenance requirements goes that will depend on what your approach is liable to be. Without knowing what kind of a gardener you are and what, exactly constitutes your idea of least amount of care it is impossible to address that aspect of the project.

If there is lots of light and you want to do as little as possible assorted hardy succulents and compatible plants such as lavender, rosemary (hardier cultivars) and thyme might work best.

3. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I'd go with something like Thuja occidentalis (Arborvitae), Callitropsis nootkaensis (Nootka Cypress), or Juniperus scopulorum (Rocky Mountain Juniper) for your evergreen. The last two are native to British Colombia, and I personally really like how the Nootka Cypress looks and smells.

Then for your shrubbery by all means go with what Ron suggested - this is the perfect kind of place to grow herbs.

4. astrid

astrid Member

great suggestions -- many thanks - do the broad-leaved evergreens (the small-leaved ones like ceranothus sp.) do as well as rosemary or lavender?

5. lorax

Well, the herbs are more likely to be perennials for you, while the trees will last through the winters.

6. englak

englak Active Member 10 Years

Rooftops have weight restrictions, it's safer to plant smaller things in planters than heavy things (like big honking conifers).

7. lorax

in defence of those conifers, they're all pretty compact. It's not like I was advising her to plant Sequoias....

8. englak

englak Active Member 10 Years

no criticism intended, I should think more before I type!

9. karmahappytoes

karmahappytoes Active Member

Felida, WA USA (NW of the other Vancouver in USA)
    I have a friend in the UK that has a rooftop garden and he has Cacti and Succulents up there with a few smaller ground covers and perennials. You have a lot of heat up there and not wise for any tree or shrubs.