Propagation: Gaillardia

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by Richard Dreyfuss Teen Idol, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Richard Dreyfuss Teen Idol

Richard Dreyfuss Teen Idol Active Member

Being new to this gardening business, I don't know much about propagation. So bear with me here.

This past summer, I planted a bunch of gaillardia (not sure what species, exactly). When deadheading, I saved & dried a few seedheads with the thought that I might see what happened if I tried to grow some more, not really expecting that I would have any success. A few weeks ago, I tossed some of the seeds in with my echeveria spruce-oliver, and lo and behold, I got some sprouts.

So I put them in dixie cup sized containers with potting soil and put them in the windows for light. Is this reasonable? Are they likely to survive if kept moist? My other concern is that this is pretty early to be starting growth indoors. If they do survive, is living in small cups indoors like that likely to make them unsuitable for transplantation outside in the spring?

Even if this won't work, at least now I know that I can repeat the process in February or March and have success.

2. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Richard, I think your intuitions are correct...it is going to be tough to keep these little guys happy all winter in the window. Light levels and daylengths are too low/short to allow healthy growth of most plants thru winter until about March...but you may wish to try and see what happens. The best shot would be in the brightest window and coolest temperatures, to try and keep growth slow and sturdy.

I would start something quick growing like gaillardia in early March inside, so they will grow quickly and strongly and be ready for transplanting at the normal time for bedding plants in your area...much more dependable method than trying to babysit the baby plants thru the winter without a growlight setup indoors.