Killing wisteria roots with no top growth

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by bear aase, May 5, 2008.

1. bear aase

bear aase Member

Please help!!!!

I just moved to a new (for me) house with monster wisteria! There is no top growth as I, perhaps foolishly, gave it a haircut, but there is an enormous tangle of roots going down about 6' under the soil surface. Will roundup kill the woody roots if there are no herbaceaous plant parts to absorb it?

If not, what will?

2. SUNRIZE

SUNRIZE Active Member

Sorry no help here but I just have to say I love the flowers and would gladly take it from you if I could…: ) …I have one currently growing in a container and will probably be a while off till it blooms. Sadly Wisteria is one of those love/hate relationships…: )

I came across this website awhile back maybe this might help..?

http://www.wisteria.it/foto-e.htm

3. bear aase

bear aase Member

I love wisteria too, but this one has been running - literally - amok for at least 15 years, over the ground and up and through the roof of may garage, not on a lovely pergola where the flowers could be enjoyed. And to top it off, it's claimed the one spot in my garden where there is enough sun for veggies.

You said you'd like to have it? Well, if you're local to northern NJ, come on down and get it; it's all yours!

;-)