Tomatoe trouble

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by connor, May 29, 2009.

1. connor

connor Member

Helo I live in cape cod and last year I started a garden, I had many things in it of which most were tomatoes. The tomatoe plants were looking great until one day I went outside and all of the tomatoe plants were missing many of their branches and the top half of their main stem. I inspected the plants for a very long time and I found a caterpillar-then another and another until I had found 17 in all on 6 tomatoe plants, they were huge, I took one inside my house(killed the others) and IDed it as a waved sphinx catterpillar. For the rest of the season I had seen a few and gotten rid of them quickly but the main problem seemed to be gone. Then when the Tomatoes started to get ripe and I took a couple inside, we cut them up and what do we find, but baby catterpillars and lots and lots of tiny little eggs-the outside of tomatoe looked perfectly good but everything in the inside was eaten out and filled with caterpillar eggs of which some had already hatched. Will someone please tell me how to prevent against these cattapillars this year, and how to get rid of them if it does happen again this year. Thanks

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Sorry but you have posted in the wrong forum. This is the citrus forum. - Millet (1,330-)

3. JanR

JanR Active Member

You could try BTK.