The Environmental Value of Douglas Fir, Western Red Cedar and Madrone trees.

Discussion in 'Plants: Science and Cultivation' started by mik, May 21, 2008.

1. mik

mik Member

Howdy,
    I am trying to figure out the Environmental values of Douglas Fir, Western Red Cedar and Madrone trees. The values would best be in a quanitative factor, with supporting documentation. However, I can use other forms of value.

I live between a freeway and a highway, difference being one has stop lights and the other is stop and go traffic. There are other small urban forest around. This area I am trying to figure out is about 1 acre, mostly Douglas Fir with sprinklings of the Madrone and Western Red Cedar.

For me it is easy to say of course Douglas Fir, Western Red Cedar and Madrone have huge Environmental values.

They are air purifiers, water drainage purifiers, beautiful, vibrant life, adding to neighborhoods charm and esthetical qualities. I believe the trees are in a migration route, I am not sure. I know many types of birds and other critters are in the area.

Now how do I prove the obvious?

Can anyone help?

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Well, without any indication of why you might be doing this (trying to preserve a landscape that is threatened?), my first thought was to go to Google Scholar and search for ecological value of urban native plantings. You'll likely need to be sitting at a university library terminal to get access to the online versions of many of these papers, but there look to be some gems in just the first page of results, e.g., Quantifying urban forest structure, function, and value: the Chicago Urban Forest Climate Project

3. mik

mik Member

Thanks,
    I will try the site. I am trying to save a grove, that has been determined by the develper as non significant. We are to go through a SEPA process. Which basically means the neighbors get to prove it is significant. A really fun task. Especially since it is the school district who is the developer.

Save the trees! Off I go to the web site. It is most important to have the best possible scientific information that I can find. That is what is the key to winning illogical arguments. AT least I hope.