Transplanted Lavatera

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Morna, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Morna

Morna Member

I'm in Victoria, BC. My neighbors wanted rid of their Lavatera (Kew Rose), so I transplanted it to my yard just 15 feet away; facing the same way. I'm worried that we planted it too deep (about 3 feet). It is about 3yrs old and 6 feet high. I understand that they don't transplant well, but I want to give it my best attempt. Also, how often should I water it now?

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

These (I've found) are nearly impossible to kill. It might be set back for a short while but bust loose after a few weeks.
    Cheers, LPN.

3. Morna

Morna Member

I hopr you're right. That's a big relief. Thank you very much.

4. chowntown

chowntown Active Member

Hi Morna

As long as you did not bury the crown of the lavatera in the soil it should be fine. They are actually pretty easy to transplant as LPN mentioned as they are a really prolific grower.

As we are experiencing a bit of cool weather this will allow the lavatera some time to recover from the transplanting. Check the dryness of the soil every 2-3 days depending on how hot the weather is. If the top inch of the soil is dry give it a really good watering. After it is established in its new spot (approx. 4-6 weeks) then you can reduce the watering a bit. It should pull through quite nicely.

Happy gardening!

-Eric

5. Morna

Morna Member

That's all good news to me Eric. I was very worried that it would die on me. I'm new to gardening, so it's nice to be able to get such great advice. Thank you very much.